Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replanting Logged Areas

Replanting Logged Areas

Hello Fellas

When they replant areas that have been logged do they plant some areas in ways as to not encourage growth of species that would be moose browse ? Hunting this year I saw conifers about 8 feet tall with almost no space between them . Has this subject been covered on HBC' if so could someone provide a link .

Thanks
    Arctic Lake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Replanting Logged Areas

I find areas I hunt in region 6 the trees are planted too close together also. But appears to be great moose habitat. Lots of the roads you drive you can't see 30 yards into the thick re growth that is a challenge for us to walk through. But force your way through and it often opens and that's where I find the moose. Like I said before. That's what I have found where I hunt.

i notice their tonight also, but during winter for me if found alot of deer bedding and trails in that, isnt moose but their in there
    maybe once they get certain hight it may effect them and travel so they go elsewhere?. just a guess. deer arent so big and get hung up on trees as a moose would im sure

On average, trees are planted about 2.9 meters apart in BC, a little tighter up north and a little wider on the coast. Natural regen. is mostly responsible for high density stands. Unfortunately, there is no value placed on wildlife habitat from a planting perspective, the site is viewed as crop. The issue is the requirement for licensees to meet free-growing standards which have been set by MOF..... In other words if there are not 1000 stems per hectare on average over the site the licensee is going to have to spend a bunch more money to make it so. Most licensees plant 1400 stems per hectare to be on the safe side.
    We're seeing more drag scarification these days, where they don't plant at all, except maybe in the uglier areas like gullies or steep slopes. This seems to make for pretty thick regen. based on what I've surveyed, but it's much cheaper than planting. One thing planting has going for it is that it shortens rotation times, thus creating more logging jobs. Logging volumes have decreased substantially over most of the interior of the province to make up for the overharvesting that occurred in response to the MPB, so there will be fewer new cutblocks in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    I find areas I hunt in region 6 the trees are planted too close together also. But appears to be great moose habitat. Lots of the roads you drive you can't see 30 yards into the thick re growth that is a challenge for us to walk through. But force your way through and it often opens and that's where I find the moose. Like I said before. That's what I have found where I hunt.
    You can see 30 yrds into that stuff!!??
    Wow, where I go in Reg 3, you cant even see 8 ft into the Regrowth!
    It so thick, it's ridiculous. (meaning, far from "natural" IMO, definetly not like a fire regrowth, and much tighter
    than was there previously)

ive always wondered whats the reasons for leaving random clusters of trees in middle of cuts? natural replanting? or???

Think it has to do with leaveing oasis of natural habitat for animals
    takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhunting View Post
    On average, trees are planted about 2.9 meters apart in BC, a little tighter up north and a little wider on the coast. Natural regen. is mostly responsible for high density stands. Unfortunately, there is no value placed on wildlife habitat from a planting perspective, the site is viewed as crop. The issue is the requirement for licensees to meet free-growing standards which have been set by MOF..... In other words if there are not 1000 stems per hectare on average over the site the licensee is going to have to spend a bunch more money to make it so. Most licensees plant 1400 stems per hectare to be on the safe side.
    We're seeing more drag scarification these days, where they don't plant at all, except maybe in the uglier areas like gullies or steep slopes. This seems to make for pretty thick regen. based on what I've surveyed, but it's much cheaper than planting. One thing planting has going for it is that it shortens rotation times, thus creating more logging jobs. Logging volumes have decreased substantially over most of the interior of the province to make up for the overharvesting that occurred in response to the MPB, so there will be fewer new cutblocks in the coming years.
    Yes, that is good info there.
    I just wish that 2.9m was the reality between trees.
    Yes, there are some areas that are planted like that ( only thing is, there is a lot of other "shrubs" that fill in really quick,
    granted, as the trees grow, they will die off I suppose? )
    But as my previous post, there are areas that to me, are way way overplanted, and I don't think they will ever be thinned out.
    So, to be natural looking again would take years, but by then or even before then, these stands are up for harvesting
    again I suppose.
    Yes, the Pine Beetle has definitely created an impact to BC, and in more ways then I could have imagined
    (the amount of logging, and the changes in practices, and not all of those changes appear to be positive IMO).
    Definitely doesn't have Wildlife Habitat as the priority.
    And now, since much of the trees affected by the PB have been cut down, the Companies are now back to
    cutting some of the Good Timber still remaining (some in Winter Range Areas).
    I understand, they have to keep people employed.
    I don't want to bash anyone in the Forestry sector who is trying to make a living.
    I am glad they can put food on the table and provide for their families.....wouldn't want to see that change.
    Just saying, some of what I have seen just isn't positive for Wildlife.
    And right now, Wildlife is being pounded (IMO) on so many different fronts, and habitat which they need has now
    really been altered due to PB ( and let's not forget all the access roads that have been created).
    Just my opinion here on this subject, not wanting to blame anyone directly for it, but only wish some changed could be
    made that are, to me, more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    Think it has to do with leaveing oasis of natural habitat for animals
    takla
    ok thx, sorta along same ideas i had, also see them stems left standing in rows in some areas, i assume also for habitat, seem to see birds always perched on top doing their hunting

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Trees are planted at densities that will provide a certain volume in a certain amount of time. Ive been out of the loop, forestry wise, for several years now, but if you really want to get a good idea of what our planting densities at stand reestablishment look like as it goes from the seral stage to the intermediate stage of growth, look no further than the Hagen/Bowron area of the province.
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"