Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

Hello, I am very confused by the regulations, it says that a youth under a youth hunting license can't hunt alone, but it doesn't say that a youth with an adult hunting license can't. I'm sorry if it is a silly question but this has been eating at me for a long time. if not, is there a way that a youth can be authorized to hunt alone? I have heard stories of people who have signed stuff with their parents to have them authorized. And also, how would that work if they had to carry a firearm? Lastly, can a youth buy a species license? And if they have an adult hunting license do they get a bag limit. Please respond with any helpful answers! Thanks

UPDATED QUESTION :

would a crossbow be the same as a bow? So from what i understand, as long as i have completed my CORE and have my hunter number and card, I can hunt alone? ( Whith a bow )
    Can anyone please clarify this?
    Last edited by Jonothan; 01-18-2017 at 10:50 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

Your core will explain alot better than most info you qill get online. But from my understanding if you are a youth you must be under the supervision of a lisenced hunter and you will count toward their bag limit. Also if you are a youth you can apply for a posession only lisence which will let you handle firearms but not buy them.. Atleast you used to be able to.

you cant go with a rifle on your own for anything. its firearm laws, not realy hunt laws.
    you can hunt archery alone is about it, their is a youths fiream licence for certain people, kinda doubt your qualify, more for competition shooter or maybe a ranch youth.

once you get your own licence, you can buy your own tags. a youth one is more if no licence and hunts under dads licence and tags. i think is what your getting at

youth rule have changed last few years, couldnt get your own till 18 i believe it was before. so anyone under that age had a youth one and hunted under parents tags

now its dropped down to 11 i believe? you can get your own licence and your own tags

maybe this helps make it clear, copied from rcmp web site

Firearm Users Younger than 18

Individuals under 18 years of age are not permitted to bring firearms into Canada or to acquire firearms by any means, even as a gift, but they are allowed to use them under some circumstances.
    Minor's Licence

A minor's licence permits the borrowing of non-restricted firearms for:

• target practice;
    • organized shooting competitions;
    • hunting; and,
    • instruction in the use of firearms.

A minor's licence also permits the acquisition of ammunition, unless there is an age restriction under provincial or territorial law.
    As a general rule, the following requirements must be met:

• The applicant must be at least 12 years old. If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.
    • As per section 7 of the Firearms Act, individuals under 18 must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests in order to get a licence.
    • Individuals younger than 18 years of age are not eligible to hold a licence authorizing them to possess prohibited or restricted firearms.

Prior to a minor's licence being issued, a Firearms Officer may interview the applicant, their parent or guardian. They must first agree and consent to the conditions under which the minor may use firearms.
    Conditions may be placed on the licence by the CFO. For example, supervision may be required when the minor uses a firearm.
    The minor's licence will expire on the holder's 18th birthday or the expiry date shown on their licence, whichever comes first.

on the hunting subject in that:

If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their
    Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.

The way I understand it is if a youth completes his core he gets his own hunting number can buy his own tags but can still hunt youth seasons. As far as hunting alone I think with a bow it would be fine but one must be 18 to carry a firearm so no on hunting with a gun.

wouldnt be to worried about the gun stuff yet, do the core first and some effort and im sure people are willing to help with accompanying with a rifle, hell i would, if it helps youths get into this, or anyone new

would a crossbow be the same as a bow? So from what i understand, as long as i have completed my CORE and have my hunter number and card, I can hunt alone? ( Whith a bow )
    Can anyone please clarify this?

Buddy you should really take the course. All those questions will be answered by the instructor who (should be) an expert in the subject. Do not take the word of some guys on the internet as law.