Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

Re: Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

way i read that, says if he has his own he is good to go.

lol, maybe i am wrong..lol. the other post was reg hunting, this one is in green as new... id assume like the regs in green are new. and this is specific to youth

Youth licences

17.1 ( 1) A hunting licence must not be issued to, or on behalf of, a person who is under 18 years of age unless a parent or guardian applies for the licence and signs a written undertaking that the parent or guardian will not allow the child or ward to hunt or carry a firearm unless he or she is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
    ( a) is 18 years of age or older,
    ( b) holds a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or is exempted from holding a hunting licence, and
    ( c) meets the prescribed qualifications.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

I think you might be confusing "Youth" licence and "Hunting" licence. While both allow some one under the age of 18 to hunt, the "Youth" licence is to allow people under 18 who haven't taken CORE to still hunt with some one 18 or older who has a valid licence. But a "Youth" licence is tied directly to the regular licence... so, with a "Youth" licence no tags are issued to that licence and the regular licence holder has to cancel a tag.

A Youth (10-under 18, who has taken CORE, and has a F&W ID number) can hold a regular hunting licence, with species tags. BUT, even though they have their own bag limits (and are not tied to some one else's licence) they still CAN NOT hunt unaccompanied (bow, rifle, rock) until they are 18.

One has to look at the whole of the regulations, not just cherry-pick parts that fit one's agenda.

RC

ya, after i posted the last one on youth i realized thats the old licencing system when they couldnt have their own till older.
    im not trying to fit some agenda.
    do you know what that letter "c: in bold would mean then?, ( c) meets the prescribed qualifications

Hunting and licences

11 (1) A person who hunts wildlife commits an offence unless the person holds all of the following:

(a) a hunting licence issued to the person under this Act;

(b) any limited entry hunting authorization that is required by regulation;
    (c) any other licence that is required by regulation;
    (d) any other permit that is required by regulation.
    (1.1) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person under 18 years of age on whose behalf the parent or guardian holds a hunting licence.
    (2) A person must not issue a hunting licence for a person under 10 years of age.
    (3) and (4) [Repealed 2003-90-24.]
    (5) A person under 18 years of age commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
    (a) is 18 years of age or older,
    ( b) holds a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or is exempted from holding a hunting licence, and

(b) any limited entry hunting authorization that is required by regulation;
    (c) any other licence that is required by regulation;
    (d) any other permit that is required by regulation.
    (1.1) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person under 18 years of age on whose behalf the parent or guardian holds a hunting licence.
    (2) A person must not issue a hunting licence for a person under 10 years of age.
    (3) and (4) [Repealed 2003-90-24.]
    (5) A person under 18 years of age commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
    (a) is 18 years of age or older,

and im not saying your wrong here. does look like its 18, more digging it apart for my own knowing.
    think myself and other have said to the new guy to get the factfull info from the c.o.....before i get chewed out for being wrong...lol

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

The Act specifically says "under 18", the day you turn 18 you're good to go. So say, your b'day is July 12... spring bears you would have to be accompanied, fall elk good to go on your own.

The "agenda" comment was a generic anybody one, not you specifically.

do you know what that letter "c: in bold would mean then?, ( c) meets the prescribed qualifications
    As "prescribed qualifications" are not defined in the Act but referenced in section 108, I suspect that section is in there so that they can vary the regulation to add additional qualifications (other than holding a valid hunting licence, BC resident, etc) if necessary without having to jump through as many legislative hoops as adding a whole new regulation.

Without limiting subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:...
    ( o) prohibiting or regulating in relation to( i) hunting by a person who is under 18 years of age or who holds an initiation hunting licence, and
    ( ii) persons in the company of a person referred to in subparagraph (i) while he or she hunts,

including, without limitation, for the purpose of sections 11, 17.1 and 17.2, prescribing the qualifications of a person who may accompany and supervise another person and prescribing the maximum number of persons that a person may accompany and supervise at one time.
    So if it was decided that only one-armed paper hangers could accompany 15 year-old's on every second Wednesday it would be easier to put in regulation.

RC

got it. thx for this.

Tuffcity has it correct!! I have taught the CORE program since its inception in 1974 and have kept up with the various changes. Although many persons still refer to the paperwork that allows a hunter to harvest most of our larger animals as "TAGS", there have been no 'tags' for game for close to 40 years, they are now called "SPECIES LICENCES". (Check the page in your hunting licence booklet just above where the sticker goes on.) These species licences are only available to persons that have passed their CORE exams and are in possession of a "Resident Hunting & Species Licence Booklet. All hunters 10 to 18 years old must be "accompanied" (see definitions in the regulation booklet) while they are hunting - no matter what type of equipment you choose to hunt with. I tell the kids that we hate to throw little kids in jail so the big person must supervise the young person or the big guy goes to jail.

ya, we got it.or i should say i did..i was wrong

and i dont get to bent over words of tag vs species licence. most know what it means