Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Locations Around Harrison Lake

Re: Hunting Locations Around Harrison Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    being new to this, you`ll soon find the local valley hunts arent easy. real bussy in our areas with general outdoor people and noise. get away from them roads is my advice.
    chilliwack is another local area to look at.
    personaly ive yet to ever see any whitetail down here, even been onto herling where they transplanted some, and didnt see any. not saying their isnt, just not seen alot. most is blacktail then changes to mules around hope area.

lots of bears local though

as above said. put some effort into mapping and learning a bit, after you pass your class i may share some spots. usualy people will help once they see an effort first, lots do no work and just want hand outs of honey holes.
    When were whitetail transplanted down in the valley???
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

loooong time ago. see if i can dig the info up

their was this old disscusion. some say rumour. still digging for something official

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/archiv...p/t-75803.html

page 2 out of the regs, doesnt specify a transplant, only that their is whiteys, or was...lol

A small population of white-tailed deer has
    become resident to the Herrling Island area
    (MU 2-3) near Hope, BC. Hunters are reminded
    that there is no open season for white-tailed
    deer in this area.

The whole whitetail on Herling story is a rumour as far as I can tell and always has been.

Shack wrote this in 2011 and it is still true:

"While not an "expert" on Herrling, I have spent some time on the island, and more than my fair share of time angling near or around Herrling. I have on MANY occasions seen blacktails walking the beaches, in the timber lots and basically all over the island, not a once have I seen a whitetail. Further to that, for the last 25 or so years, the regs have had the warning in them, do you really think in that many years they NEVER came off the island, never got hit by cars on the number 1 hwy, never been photographed, trail cammed by the numerous hunters on this forum or elsewhere! Come on, I just call it MIS-IDENTIFICATION. Show me the proof, and I will eat my words, until then..."

It's funny how often threads about Harrison lake come up ... people just think "oh it's in my back yard I should hunt there" ... as if thousands of other lower mainland hunters didn't have the same thought.

The problem with Harrison is the amount of recreation that goes on there. Yes, people still shoot a buck on occasion, but with so many people 4x4ing and quad ding and dirt biking up there it's just too much pressure for them.

Be prepared to hike a ways in away from the nearest road if you want to see game. There are members on here who have hunted that area for years and never gotten a shot off.

Lots of bears though.

I am somewhat new to HBC, but not new to hunting. I spent much of younger days in the West Harrison area. With knowledge from locals and many days spent off in the back hills I have seen a number of deer, but they are few and far between. I have seen more Bobcat and Bear, than deer. Regarding Herling Island, in 2013 I had the pleasure of sitting on a log pile, near the South road into the wood lot, watching a white tail doe and fawn for about 25 minutes. When they finally caught wind of me they ran away with their signature white tail wave. It is not a myth!! Before that day I had never seen a WT in the over 200 days that I had spent on the island. I have not been there since and do not know if they are still there. There is no open season for WT there

Question .... why would one spend 200 days on herrling island?

Camped, fished and a little quadding for many years. It was also one of the only safe flat area for kids with bikes and quads. When the island was closed to motorized rec I hiked it many times and spent a number of nights on the island

Yes there are whitetail in region 2

Have seen a 3 point buck by hope

Caddisguy on here has a trail cam vid of a doe/fawn in region 2 from last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=caddisguy