Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shopping for range finder

shopping for range finder

Hey guys, Im in the market for an new ranger finder, price range $400-$700, I want angle comp, small and light weight, ive been looking into Vortex, Leica, Bushnell, leupold. what are you guys using and would recommend with quality, and warranty? thanks for your 2cents!

-Backwoods

2. Site Sponsor

Re: shopping for range finder

I bought the Leupold RXi1200 TBR. This is the first year that I used it and am very happy with it. Very fast acquiring the range. The first time I tried it was at an hour before dusk above English bay on an overcast day. Was able to range the sail on a small boat at 1170 yards. Like the red reticle.

I got the same one earlier this year (from an online source in the US shipped to a box in Blaine that I had to go pickup because Leupold won't ship out of the US - saved me a couple hundred bucks).

I want the Leica, but missed a chance at a good sale and can't justify the double cost over the Leupold. Although I hear it's tremendously good optics (for a Rangefinder, anyhow).

I've used the Vortex Ranger1000 & 1500 models, they work well and you can't beat the lifetime warranty which is unheard of on an electronic item
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Ive had swaro vortex busnell and leica rangefinders/rangefinding binos. Leica is in a different league. They can be kinda pricey but worth it.

I own a vortex ranger 1000, I'm lucky to hit 600 yards with it, on a good day. Wishing I woulda went with Leica.

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one experiencing problems with my vortex 1000. I'm going to be sending it back as it is tough to range objects on the best of days. I have heard the 1500's are better.

Just went to Backcountry in Fsj, tried a variety of them out really leaning towards the Leica 1600-R, really nice, only 5 year warranty

Leica was on sale a few months back... lots missed out including myself.

www.overstock.com Keep checking on them, I check daily as the lady at CS said they might go back on clearance.

CRF 1000-R for $299
    1600-B for $359

I got the vortex 1500 it has been o.k. so far when the conditions are good. If it's raining hard or snowing then it won't read, but I expect any rangefinder to have troubles then. I had the ranger 1000 that I could get pretty reliable readings on trees, trucks and other large objects as far as 1100 yards away on clear days. So I thought I would try the ranger 1500, it has had a hard time reading coyotes around 450 yards but it will read the tree line just behind them in the area I have been hunting coyotes. I would like to get a G7 rangefinder but I just don't want to pay that much and I don't hunt long range.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.