Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bad Shot - Advice

Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

I was taught to walk up "behind" the animal and fire a shot high into the neck area. Shooting a deer in the head makes a real mess, and believe me there's nothing worse than trying to drag a deer by the horns and they come out of the skull! If you think there's a chance of the bullet coming back and hitting you, get back a bit farther and kneel down and fire, if your still worried use the big rock trick I guess.

Good for you for asking. Lots of people on here will make it seem like they never needed two shots to kill anything and all of their kills were painless for the game.

Personally, I'd stand back a ways and give it another shot.

Kudos for getting the job done but it's also dangerous to go hands on with a wounded wild animal. People have been impaled or had their teeth kicked in doing that. Put another shot into the neck and you should settle him down quickly with no risk to yourself.

spend the extra buck or two on another bullet for sure....I once finished a 2x2 mule by stepping on the antler stabbing it in the neck back handed and pushing out the knife slicing the wind pipe and both jugulars....it still took too long to die for my liking...one of the worst feelings is starting to gut an animal and have it start kicking....I never hesitate to retube reaquire target and let another one go if it aint stone dead...1st goes boiler room..and if required, second in the neck and third in the head.....

One time, I was walking down a trail beside a fence line and spotted a deer about 200yds up...I quickly sat and put elbows to knees....and bang.....it took off slightly down hill and I thought I hit it (but wasn't 100% sure I hit it) so I followed the direction it went for about 200 yds without seeing it's blood or trail...

as I was about to start back to where I saw it (to do circles) when suddenly I spotted a deer with just it's head sticking up above the slash about 75 feet away so I find a small tree branch and use it as a rest...

as i was aiming for the relatively small throat on the head looking at me, I spied the struggling spine shot doe crawling along on it's front legs about 50 feet past the deer in my crosshairs...I shot the second deer and saw the neck shot deer flop so I walked past it to get to the other deer.... A spine shot can be far from fatal and I ended up putting another one in its head from close range to finish it...as I did that the one I neck shot started struggling to get up so I had to quickly turn and give it a follow up to the head as well....I ended up getting both tags filled cuz the other deer had stayed with it...hectic situation for sure with two wounded deer down...

just stick a kill shot into it, no need to overthink it and it is better for you and the animal to end the situation quickly and safely . A knife is a field tool when it come to hunting (and a defensive weapon if there were no other options) .

Im guessing this is a created scenario
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

wholly crap sail punk! wow! lol...you are a very lucky guy!
    ya, back up and drill it again..... "Ya Deer wrestler" lol. you can usually get an angle that will minimise risk to you and your surroundings, find it then shoot it again.

Don't take that the wrong way, that is one hell of a story you just told, and good on ya for doing it. But that one goes down in the history of funny stories to tell that bout got ya killed!
    Last edited by 835; 01-18-2017 at 12:35 PM.

I think if you have the ability and willingness to finish the deer as you did, let er rip! Im all in.

you got it done. interesting story and thanks for sharing. like others have suggested, a follow up shot from a close, yet safe distance would probably be the way to go
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

I'm proud of you for caring, a learning curve mistake was made you learned.

Quote Originally Posted by sailpunk View Post
    I know no one ever likes to discuss when things go wrong because it is a matter of pride and not causing suffering.

Here is the scenario:

I had a nice blacktail lined up at 100m and and when I squeezed the trigger something spooked it and it bounded. I caught it in the spine right where the rib cage meets the spine and it went down hard and began to spaz with its aft section paralyzed. I couldn't get a clean shot with it moving like that.

I made my rifle safe and ran forward to the deer. I jumped across its chest pinning it to the ground and reached for my knife with the intent of slitting its throat but I looked back and saw my knife with my gear 100m away. I thought of shooting it but it was rocky ground and dangerous. I thought of bludgeoning it but that seemed like it might not work and smothering it was impossible. I twisted its neck to the limit of its natural turn and then crushed it with the weight of my upper body. It was dead instantly.

Why I am telling this story is two fold:
    1. Always have your knife
    2. How would you suggest handling an unclean kill like this.

I want to learn and be the best hunter I can be and my only other kill was super clean shot so what are the best ways to deal with this type of scenario?
    I give you props for bringing up this topic. Sounds like you got it done, although it would have been interesting to be walking through the bush and stumbling onto you with this deer. M.Dean has it right with the approach and shooting angle. Adversity makes us very creative, good on you for making it happen.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.