Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: A Bad Shot - Advice

Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

This whole thread has gone crazy.
    Where do you shoot 3 bucks in one day is what id like to know!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    This whole thread has gone crazy.
    Where do you shoot 3 bucks in one day is what id like to know!
    wouldn't we all 835...wouldn't we all...heheheh

Had and/or chose to go Rambo on a few deer in my time. When you're outta bullets out comes the blade, one blacktail was a bit too lively so a big rock extended my range and allowed me to get in with the knife. Shit happens, but it beats letting an animal suffer. Of course a firearm or bow is first choice, but hunt long enough and you'll find yourself going back to basics. Remmy 870 wood stocks are not as tuff as baseball bats, just FYI. Risky business with a blade no doubt, my brother had a close call with a little forkhorn bt. That little ******* kicked at the right time burying 3" of a fixed blade into his palm between thumb/forefinger. Was damn lucky...
    Tire iron penetrates skull quite easily also, and a stout shovel will do in a pinch.
    Last edited by .264winmag; 01-24-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Additional effective source of weapons
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I would had backed up 20 feet and put a bullet into its head..
    Had a similar scenario a few years back. This was the solution. If the animal is thrashing around too much, you could even opt for a chest shot.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    wouldn't we all 835...wouldn't we all...heheheh
    Reg 1... and Haida Gwai
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I grew up on a ranch and you don`t "slit the throat"
    Ever tried that? The hide is thick and you end up sawing away at it.
    Feel down your neck where your collar bones join your rib cage, that little hollow is where you STICK a long blade knife,angled down and into the chest, wiggle it around and you will know instantly you are in the right spot by the gush of blood running up your arm. Pigs , cattle, sheep, works for them all. An X between the ears and eyes and a .22 and a long blade knife. Learned that from an deli butcher when I was 12. My longest day was 53 cows, with 3 guys skinning and 2 tractors to haul critters, guts and hides . They freeze right up, fall down and you have 10 or so seconds to stick them before they kick the shit out of you. And then you have an old European Deli butcher catching all the blood in a pail for blood sausage. And my little brother running to the house stirring the blood so it did not clot up before getting the spices and oatmeal in it.
    Gawd, family services would have loved us!
    My cousin worked in a slaughter house and acquired for me a sticking knife. I is a pointed double edged dagger about 12 inches long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Reg 1... and Haida Gwai

Right, lol..... forgot that place...... dummy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    My cousin worked in a slaughter house and acquired for me a sticking knife. I is a pointed double edged dagger about 12 inches long.
    That`s what you want. With a good hand guard. They get slippery.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    I remember them doing pigs in the slaughterhouse when I was a kid ... stuck them with one of them after the pig was hanging over the trough to catch the blood ... lots of blood and kicking and squealing . Probably not the politically correct way these days .

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I grew up on a ranch and you don`t "slit the throat"
    Ever tried that? The hide is thick and you end up sawing away at it.
    Feel down your neck where your collar bones join your rib cage, that little hollow is where you STICK a long blade knife,angled down and into the chest, wiggle it around and you will know instantly you are in the right spot by the gush of blood running up your arm. Pigs , cattle, sheep, works for them all. An X between the ears and eyes and a .22 and a long blade knife. Learned that from an deli butcher when I was 12. My longest day was 53 cows, with 3 guys skinning and 2 tractors to haul critters, guts and hides . They freeze right up, fall down and you have 10 or so seconds to stick them before they kick the shit out of you. And then you have an old European Deli butcher catching all the blood in a pail for blood sausage. And my little brother running to the house stirring the blood so it did not clot up before getting the spices and oatmeal in it.
    Gawd, family services would have loved us!
    But those sausages were out of this world, weren't they?
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand