Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bad Shot - Advice

Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    years ago I was involved in a situation where the rifle and spare shells were used all up...leaving no other option but to wrestle the poor buck down and cut it's throat..I would never of thought that possible. But the rifle had had the scope go bad. So the first shot was a poor hit and subsequent shots were misses or poorer hits. Shit happens.
    Nearly the same situation I was in. It's circumstance and you deal with it with the tools you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I don't know what your sensitivity level is at and that's 100 % up to you . I also agree that steers , cows , bulls , horses are shot between the eyes first which is why I didn't include them in with sheep etc . I used to go to the slaughterhouse when I was a child and the only animals that were shot in the head were large (bulls ,cows , steers) , not with bullets as the brain was edible
    Anyway to the OP don't if you are not comfortable doing so and use caution .
    My sensitivity level? I guess I would have to say that when I see an animal suffering it breaks my heart. That would, I guess, put my sensitivity level at low. With search and rescue I cried after peeling a small child off the frozen ground so that would,I guess, put my sensitivity level at low.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    My sensitivity level? I guess I would have to say that when I see an animal suffering it breaks my heart. That would, I guess, put my sensitivity level at low. With search and rescue I cried after peeling a small child off the frozen ground so that would,I guess, put my sensitivity level at low.
    Ok if you say so ! Trying not to derail this thread , so to the OP I guess its up to ones personal skill /comfort level .

Put a bullet into the back of the neck, just below the head, that way there is no damage to meat, or the rack, kills them instantly. My story, as I guess we all seem to have one, is when I shot my biggest V.I. blacktail. I had glassed him from a long way off, then stalked him. Well, in the excitement, I had forgotten my knife in the truck! So, after I had shot this great buck, I couldn't gut him until I went back to my truck to get my knife. And, as I dragged him downhill to the small cat-trail where I was going to leave him while I went to get my knife, he was still heaving and breathing. I really didn't want him to flop off the cat-trail (it was pretty steep below) and I didn't want to shoot him again, as his neck was already broken. So I held his muzzle into a puddle of water on the cat-trail until he stopped breathing. Yes, it is pretty gross, for sure, but you have to do what you have to do. In effect, I drowned my best blacktail!

stupid is as stupid does. Shoot it again, keep your head out of your ass so you can see what you are doing. Jeez, dumbest topic ever. Maybe buy your meat from a store where it`s made and no hunters were hurt.
    Can`t believe some of you guys.
    Showering me with a fine example of your own intellect, especially ironic considering how you completely missed where I said take safest option available. Plenty of stories out there of farmers on the wrong end of a bullet because of ricochet. I had one guy relate to me a story where he ended up with a hole in the bill of his cap while slaughtering sheep. I was asking him because I was considering how best to slaughter my own sheep. For the record I do use a gun over soft ground to slaughter my animals, but rocky ground and bullets are not something you want to mess with. Believe it or not, there are places here in BC where the terrain is no good for close range shooting and the only good shot has no back stop. We both know you shouldn't be stupid enough to take that shot. This world isn't one size fits all and there are cases where a knife is better than a gun. Would I advocate this for a downed moose, elk, or massive mulie hell no, but there are plenty of smaller animals that can be safely dispatched this way.

Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?
    Bullet to the brain, but only by a small margin. With a sharp knife you cut right back to the spinal column. At this point you are not killing by blood loss. Once you cut the jugular the blood and therefor oxygen supply to the brain is cut off. At this point the animal will have on average about 10 -30 seconds of active consciousness, it may live a bit longer but it won't be conscious. There is some debate whether the animal even feels much pain with this act. I have never seen an animal whose throat I have slit elicit much of a reaction. If you think this is highly unethical then lord knows what you think of bow hunters that customarily hold off tracking animals to let them lay up and bleed out.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Bullet to the brain, but only by a small margin. With a sharp knife you cut right back to the spinal column. At this point you are not killing by blood loss. Once you cut the jugular the blood and therefor oxygen supply to the brain is cut off. At this point the animal will have on average about 10 -30 seconds of active consciousness, it may live a bit longer but it won't be conscious. There is some debate whether the animal even feels much pain with this act. I have never seen an animal whose throat I have slit elicit much of a reaction. If you think this is highly unethical then lord knows what you think of bow hunters that customarily hold off tracking animals to let them lay up and bleed out.
    I have shot animals in the neck and went up and touched the eyeball and it blinked. I immediately cut the throat and seconds and I do mean seconds later the eyes go to that 1000 yard stare. This isn't what I object to. What I object to is a person electing to wrestle with a wounded animal and prolong the agony instead of finishing the job with an appropriately placed bullet. This last season I listened to a fellow relay a scene where his hunting partner laid his rifle down and elected to fight with a wounded buck rather than quickly kill the animal with a bullet. The idiot had the animal by the antlers and the animal was thrashing around. The guy telling the story thought it to be hilarious. He wonders why I won't hunt with him.

Quite the crazy thread. This summer I cut the throats of three bucks I shot in the same day. My gun was shooting high for some reason and all the shots ended up being spine shots. I don't think it is the safest option, but then again that's not the route I've taken in my life. There is a way and a method for everything, even cutting the throat of a deer. Would I try to cut the throat of a deer with it's head up, No. If the animal is thrashing around put another bullet in it. If it is safe. I might cut the throat when the animal flops down after the shot and isn't moving but still breathing when I walk up to it. I do the loaded rifle poke to see if I get a reaction, if it moves I shoot it.

This isn't what I object to. What I object to is a person electing to wrestle with a wounded animal and prolong the agony instead of finishing the job with an appropriately placed bullet. This last season I listened to a fellow relay a scene where his hunting partner laid his rifle down and elected to fight with a wounded buck rather than quickly kill the animal with a bullet. The idiot had the animal by the antlers and the animal was thrashing around. The guy telling the story thought it to be hilarious.
    Yeah, I'd object to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    Interesting comment. I have known many ranchers and to the one they shot the animal in the head and then cut their throat. Shelter life maybe but I sure don't need any sensitivity therapy.
    I grew up on a ranch and you don`t "slit the throat"
    Ever tried that? The hide is thick and you end up sawing away at it.
    Feel down your neck where your collar bones join your rib cage, that little hollow is where you STICK a long blade knife,angled down and into the chest, wiggle it around and you will know instantly you are in the right spot by the gush of blood running up your arm. Pigs , cattle, sheep, works for them all. An X between the ears and eyes and a .22 and a long blade knife. Learned that from an deli butcher when I was 12. My longest day was 53 cows, with 3 guys skinning and 2 tractors to haul critters, guts and hides . They freeze right up, fall down and you have 10 or so seconds to stick them before they kick the shit out of you. And then you have an old European Deli butcher catching all the blood in a pail for blood sausage. And my little brother running to the house stirring the blood so it did not clot up before getting the spices and oatmeal in it.
    Gawd, family services would have loved us!
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories