Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bad Shot - Advice

Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

Quite a few years ago, I shot a large mule buck. When I approached it, I was sure that it was dead, until its front hooves passed through my beard. Following that event, there was another bang, and problem was solved. A second shot, if needed is cheaper than the surgery or funeral that can result from a "DEAD" animal. It still amazes me how spry that an old geezer can be when the need arises. Bear moose and elk I let sit for a while before I go near them. That one occasion gave me an education that I never will forget.

October 2015 I shot a small mule deer buck but I had fallen with my rifle earlier in the trip and the scope was knocked about. I aimed behind the front shoulder and the animal dropped shot in the hip, and started dragging itself away by the front legs. I caught up to it and shot again for the neck too hastily without shouldering the rifle completely and missed. Reached in my pocket for my Swiss army knife, opened it and holding one antler, slashed the jugular vein.

Quote Originally Posted by sailpunk View Post
    I know no one ever likes to discuss when things go wrong because it is a matter of pride and not causing suffering.

Here is the scenario:

I had a nice blacktail lined up at 100m and and when I squeezed the trigger something spooked it and it bounded. I caught it in the spine right where the rib cage meets the spine and it went down hard and began to spaz with its aft section paralyzed. I couldn't get a clean shot with it moving like that.

I made my rifle safe and ran forward to the deer. I jumped across its chest pinning it to the ground and reached for my knife with the intent of slitting its throat but I looked back and saw my knife with my gear 100m away. I thought of shooting it but it was rocky ground and dangerous. I thought of bludgeoning it but that seemed like it might not work and smothering it was impossible. I twisted its neck to the limit of its natural turn and then crushed it with the weight of my upper body. It was dead instantly.

Why I am telling this story is two fold:
    1. Always have your knife
    2. How would you suggest handling an unclean kill like this.

I want to learn and be the best hunter I can be and my only other kill was super clean shot so what are the best ways to deal with this type of scenario?
    You asked a question and some say the only stupid question is the unasked one so you deserve an answer. It would be A COLD DAY IN HELL when I would walk up to a wounded animal without my rifle in my hands. It would be a colder day in hell when I would elect to finish killing it with my knife rather with a bullet. I have listen to people who think it macho to jump on a wounded animal with a knife to finish killing it. The object of the hunt is to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. You asked a question and I will ask you a question. Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    You asked a question and some say the only stupid question is the unasked one so you deserve an answer. It would be A COLD DAY IN HELL when I would walk up to a wounded animal without my rifle in my hands. It would be a colder day in hell when I would elect to finish killing it with my knife rather with a bullet. I have listen to people who think it macho to jump on a wounded animal with a knife to finish killing it. The object of the hunt is to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. You asked a question and I will ask you a question. Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?
    I don't know if anyone said it was macho but some of us that haven't led a sheltered life don't have the same outlook . It was routine to dispatch farm animals by slitting the throat goats , sheep , pigs , calves .As far as being "humane" ... it don't take long to bleed out and it has already been shot . I feel way worse for the deer that get gut shot and die in the next day or so . I am not saying that I recommend "jumping on" a wounded animal and have only cut the throats of "live" deer a few times myself . I wouldn't do it now , its been 25 years since I've thrown a steer or cut any throats

halal says its ethical to kill animal this way

Well bowhunting I have used a knife to finish deer just the way I was taught

Firearm head shot if needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I don't know if anyone said it was macho but some of us that haven't led a sheltered life don't have the same outlook . It was routine to dispatch farm animals by slitting the throat goats , sheep , pigs , calves .As far as being "humane" ... it don't take long to bleed out and it has already been shot . I feel way worse for the deer that get gut shot and die in the next day or so . I am not saying that I recommend "jumping on" a wounded animal and have only cut the throats of "live" deer a few times myself . I wouldn't do it now , its been 25 years since I've thrown a steer or cut any throats
    Interesting comment. I have known many ranchers and to the one they shot the animal in the head and then cut their throat. Shelter life maybe but I sure don't need any sensitivity therapy.

years ago I was involved in a situation where the rifle and spare shells were used all up...leaving no other option but to wrestle the poor buck down and cut it's throat..I would never of thought that possible. But the rifle had had the scope go bad. So the first shot was a poor hit and subsequent shots were misses or poorer hits. Shit happens.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    Interesting comment. I have known many ranchers and to the one they shot the animal in the head and then cut their throat. Shelter life maybe but I sure don't need any sensitivity therapy.
    I don't know what your sensitivity level is at and that's 100 % up to you . I also agree that steers , cows , bulls , horses are shot between the eyes first which is why I didn't include them in with sheep etc . I used to go to the slaughterhouse when I was a child and the only animals that were shot in the head were large (bulls ,cows , steers) , not with bullets as the brain was edible
    Anyway to the OP don't if you are not comfortable doing so and use caution .

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    years ago I was involved in a situation where the rifle and spare shells were used all up...leaving no other option but to wrestle the poor buck down and cut it's throat..I would never of thought that possible. But the rifle had had the scope go bad. So the first shot was a poor hit and subsequent shots were misses or poorer hits. Shit happens.
    Yup , and good on you ! I would think twice about wrestling one down ... would depend on circumstances .