Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bad Shot - Advice

Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    wholly crap sail punk! wow! lol...you are a very lucky guy!
    ya, back up and drill it again..... "Ya Deer wrestler" lol. you can usually get an angle that will minimise risk to you and your surroundings, find it then shoot it again.

Don't take that the wrong way, that is one hell of a story you just told, and good on ya for doing it. But that one goes down in the history of funny stories to tell that bout got ya killed!
    I have had a similar scenario twice , first time was a 2 point mulie , I held it down (like a steer) while I took my 3" folding oldtimer knife out of my jeans and cut its throat.
    2nd time was a 4 point WT and I was able to run up to it (in deep snow but it turned to fight so I waited till it turned away and put the barrel about a foot from the back of its head and Blammo !
    I should add , Now that I am older (& wiser ?) I would just put one in the brain every time

I might add...I think part of the reason I tried to cut the throat instead of shooting a second time was to be able to say "one shot kill" as I was still a bit green and new to the group I was hunting with...After that I decided that claiming "one shot kill" was not worth letting the animal suffer and I always carry lots of ammo so no need to try and conserve it

I know this is funny but when I bear hunt I carry an old school war hammer for close encounters like this. Believe me it sounds weird but when you drop your gun and can't get a knife out having something you can just grab from your hip is handy. Or a tomahawk.

use your rifle. I will put one high in the neck right behind the head if required
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

You did good given the circumstance... I had the exact same shot present itself on a doe this Oct. Bolted as I committed the shot. Took out the spine and front of the tenderloin. She dragged her ass about 20 feet and wouldn't put her head down. I chambered another round took a bead on the back of her neck and waited to see if she would try and get up. She bled out in another 10 seconds. Luckily I used the 45-70 that day so she wasn't going far. Things go south as often as not. Sounds like you learned a few things... knife always on belt, gun always in hand when approaching wounded game. Glad you didn't try this with a bear.

Cool Re: A Bad Shot - Advice

While you made out OK this time around, methinks you get the picture from so many members suggesting a follow up shot is the way to go...

Case in point:

There was a fellow who disappeared while hunting mulies in the Sand Hills of Saskatchewan a number of years ago. My Wife, Brother and I were hunting the same area, and became part of the ground search crew looking for him. Unfortunately he was not found that fall despite huge efforts...

The following year, another hunter stumbled across a most unsettling find. He initially saw the tops of a rather large four point sticking out of the brush, so approached to have a closer look. Embedded on the other side of the rack was a human skull. The rear most point of that heavy rack had pierced the skull just above the left eye and penetrated almost through the back of the skull - it was very firmly jammed into place on the antler. On closer inspection, there were two sets of partial finger bones still wrapped around the base of the antlers on the same side.

Forensics later determined this was the same fellow who had gone missing the previous year. It was thought that he had wounded the large buck, and attempted to finish it off with his knife rather than a follow up shot. The buck apparently had one last good kick left, and used that to take out his would be killer before dying himself.

Just a word to the wise: Things can go south in one hell of a hurry out there! Much better to take the safest approach for yourself, which btw also happens to be the most humane for the quarry.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Sounds like you learned a few things... knife always on belt
    This is number one (aside from all of the other great advice re taking another shot). I will always wear at least one knife on my belt, in a pocket, or somewhere else on me in the event that I need a knife and my pack isn't where it ought to be or otherwise accessible. In fact, I usually carry a relatively heavy knife on my belt (usually the BG Ultimate Pro...as much as BG is panned as a fraud, etc, it's a good, versatile knife), a Leatherman Wave on my belt or in a pocket, and a Havalon Piranta in a pocket. I also have a lash of a foot or two of Firecord wrapped around the Ultimate Pro's sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    While you made out OK this time around, methinks you get the picture from so many members suggesting a follow up shot is the way to go...

Case in point:

There was a fellow who disappeared while hunting mulies in the Sand Hills of Saskatchewan a number of years ago. My Wife, Brother and I were hunting the same area, and became part of the ground search crew looking for him. Unfortunately he was not found that fall despite huge efforts...

The following year, another hunter stumbled across a most unsettling find. He initially saw the tops of a rather large four point sticking out of the brush, so approached to have a closer look. Embedded on the other side of the rack was a human skull. The rear most point of that heavy rack had pierced the skull just above the left eye and penetrated almost through the back of the skull - it was very firmly jammed into place on the antler. On closer inspection, there were two sets of partial finger bones still wrapped around the base of the antlers on the same side.

Forensics later determined this was the same fellow who had gone missing the previous year. It was thought that he had wounded the large buck, and attempted to finish it off with his knife rather than a follow up shot. The buck apparently had one last good kick left, and used that to take out his would be killer before dying himself.

Just a word to the wise: Things can go south in one hell of a hurry out there! Much better to take the safest approach for yourself, which btw also happens to be the most humane for the quarry.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Now THAT is a story. Wow!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...a-wounded-deer

this guy tried to save a bullet instead of taking a follow up shot

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Case in point:

Cheers,
    Nog
    Well said Nog. And to all others who have given sage advice in response to this thread.
    When I was a young lad ,I was fortunate to have a very experienced hunter hold me back from approaching a big 4x4 Mulie that was thrashing about.
    I am thankful to him for a lot of things, but showing me how to approach a downed animal and make sure the animal was dead is one I have been fortunate enough to have used many times over and to pass on to my sons and my brother.
    Shoot that extra bullet into the back of the neck! Wait a few more minutes. Approach cautiously. Touch the animal's eyeball with your rifle barrel (round chambered- safety in the FIRE position). When you are sure it is dead, put rifle in the SAFE position and then get to work.
    Semper in excretum altum