Thread: Another newb

Another newb

Hi guys. I just joined the forum. Been hunting for a couple of years in region 3. My first year was spent taking notes, exploring and generally making a tonne of mistakes Got my first whitetail last season (5x7 with huge brow tines) and saw lots of bear sows with cubs and a s**t tonne of wolves/tracks. I'm hoping to learn some more and share some experiences.
    The first thing I learned was to pick my eyes up and not look at the ground in front of me. It's easier said than done, especially when you have rolled an ankle more than once on uneven ground or always had your parents telling you to watch where you're going. I don't know how many times I have looked up to more than 1 doe staring/stomping/snorting at me while there was plenty of cover for me to hide behind. Never saw the bucks either...until I looked up. Scan the ground in front of you, plan your step, and keep your eyes up.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another newb

Welcome. Yes, I agree, it is hard to keep your head up. Sounds like you got yourself a good first buck. It would be great to see some pictures.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Welcome to HBC we would love to hear the story of your 5x7 and pics of course

Well there StillHunter, when a man on a hunt'in site mentions he got himself a 5x7 white tail, it's a Code of the West unwritten law he post's a picture of it! Welcome to HBC, the dam hunt'in site this side of them Rockies let me tell ya! If ya chew, don't spit on the floor, no bad cuss words if there's women in here, other than that, have a great time Pard!!!

I have updated my album with pictures of my buck. Mid -November somewhere between Revelstoke and Vancouver, I had hiked around 10km on top of a mountain thinking that the deer would still be up high due to the warm weather. All I found was 1 set of moose tracks, 1 set of small deer tracks and a mother load of wolf and coyote tracks. I decided it was a waste of time and worked my way down to the snow line. I used every ounce of what little knowledge I had to find an area with feed, cover, travelling corridors and good visibility with the wind in my face. I still hunt the area for about 1 hr and a buck came out into the clearing walking right at me. I couldn't make a shot because if I moved he would have seen me instantly. I was crapping my pants because he came closer and closer and I thought he was going to walk right into me! I just managed to take my scope covers off with him pausing for only 15 seconds as he noticed my hands moving. Just as he made it about 10 yrds away he turned to my left behind some bushes and I crouched down. I lifted my rifle up and all I could see was a wall of brown fur. I had my scope turned up to 12x because i thought I would have to make a shot across the clearing! I turned my scope down to 4x and he was so close all I could still see was brown and his front elbow. I had to wait until he took a few steps so I could see where his shoulder was moving to take the shot. Boom! Right through the heart-no more than 4 steps before he died. My father came over that night and we cut him up have been having some great steaks - not gamey at all. Made some peperoni, sausage, venison wellington, all tasting fantastic! Time to head to the recipe section...

Nice whitetail, way to go.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.