Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Re: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Nope!

'simple physics' says otherwise.
    I'll agree to disagree on this but that pic of your ram makes me cringe. Put it all in a big bag close to your body and you'll be walking straighter and fatiguing less. I've tried the icon pro with the load sling then I switched to kifaru, haven't looked back and probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    Alot of u guys hate on eberlestocks

just like alot of people started hating on firstlite now that sitka released a new pattern

to each theyre own, compared to what i used to use. The j107 is a solid, comfortable expanding day-bag with expanding meat packing ability or a 1/2/3 day capable bag with the spike duffle. Suits my needs and purpose
    I hate on Eberlestock because I took one sheep hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    Up high being above the bottom of the pack and tight being as close to the load bearing frame as possible. Your body type is pretty much exact opposite of me but I've used the kuiu pro with load sling and I even think my kifaru frame has a load sling and there's absolutely no way putting that much weight away from your body isn't going to have a negative effect on being able to stand up.
    isnt that the point of the load sling? Now the weight is close to the body (between the bag and the frame) and the lighter, less dense matter is in the bag further from the body.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    isnt that the point of the load sling? Now the weight is close to the body (between the bag and the frame) and the lighter, less dense matter is in the bag further from the body.
    Yes, but, that's because you have too because small bags won't accomodate all your camp gear as well. Use a wider, deeper, taller bag and you'll keep ALL the load closer to you.

I run a SG too, but have never used the load shelf. I use tag bomb bags for my meat, and the bag keeps deboned meat in a tall flat cylinder if you wanna call it that, but the bag keeps the meat from turning into a ball at the bottom of your pack if you were using something like a pillow case. Ill slide that inside a contractor bag and drop it into my pack right against the frame and then on the outside of the meat start stuffing the rest of my gear inside the main bag, it keeps the the meat right against my back. Tag bomb bags are worth the money in my opinion.

That load of andrews makes me cringe as well, if that meat was flattened out in a larger bag against the frame i bet it would carry a lot better, but i didnt carry it so I guess i cant really comment on it, but from my experience having all the weight as close to your back is a lot nicer.

Theses bags of meat from my buck stay that shape when loaded vertically in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Theses bags of meat from my buck stay that shape when loaded vertically in my pack.

I don't want to tell you that you don't know what you are talking about, but that is a pickup truck not a pack.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    I don't want to tell you that you don't know what you are talking about, but that is a pickup truck not a pack.
    Yeh but that truck packs the weigh better than my back !!!!
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    And not to mention the stolen shopping tote from Loblaws
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Yeh but that truck packs the weigh better than my back !!!!
    Sure, but the least he could do is put right behind his seat to back up his point that it right next to his back is the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    And not to mention the stolen shopping tote from Loblaws
    First rule of internet pics, don't incriminate yourself. #FAIL

There is an important part you guys are missing out when razzing Andrew for that pic ..... the weight of the bag itself. The bag is still (I assume) significantly lighter than the load of meat. In which case it is OK for the bag to be somewhat away from your back, compared to the heavy load of meat.

if you can get the meat to sit well packed, INSIDE your pack, and against your back, then that is fine, but i have not found anything that keeps its shape and keeps meat from sinking into a ball at the bottom. SR80, what kind of bags are those? If they really work for this purpose, then I would like to give them a try. EDIT: Found them online. Wow. Expensive. What material are they made out of? Can't tell from the pictures.

My father recently got a sewing machine to make certain mods to our gear, straps etc, so i think this year i will try and sew up some game bags myself specifically for using with a load shelf. Making them tall and skinny to get the flattest load possible against the pack. Will post results of how that goes.

Besides, a frame with a load shelf can't be beat when you need to pack heavy awkward things that will not fit inside your pack. Like large quarters. Load shelf would help out greatly there.

EDIT: Another edit .... an idea just occurred to me. Tent stuff sacks!! Why wouldn't a large tent stuff sack work?! It's cylindrical and long and all you would have to do is turn it inside out and run some seam sealer on the seams to keep it waterproof. I'm thinking it would work very well for keeping meat nicely stacked in the pack or on the load shelf. Thoughts?
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.