Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Re: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Tried that, but all that weight up high don't work for me. Simple physics as said. Start going backwards and she's too top heavy for me. I gotta keep it low or right against the back. Maybe just me though, short little fella HA.
    Same principal, no matter how you have to pack it just keep the biggest weight tight against your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    I've used both types, no I'm not going to write every experience I've had with different packs because frankly I don't care to. It's simple physics, put the load out away from your body and it's going to pull you backwards. It doesn't matter if it's just the weight of your gear and the meats against you back it's still going to pull back more than if everything were to be in the main bag. It's just the way it's is, some guys like a cute small bag and like suffering more than necessary packing a big load with a load shelf and that's fine, but you can't argue with science.
    Yes it is simple physics but not sure how you can get 60+ lbs of meat to stay against your back the same way you can with a load shelf. If you can then great, but for me you can't compare the two and I have packed sheep out BOTH ways. What load shelf have you used?

These 'simple physics' drawings/pics are off the SG site and do a pretty darn good job in explaining things for a visual person.

This is my set-up and you can't compare (in my opinion) to meat inside the bag.

Same principal, no matter how you have to pack it just keep the biggest weight tight against your shoulders.
    Nope!

'simple physics' says otherwise.

Tight against shoulders and up high? Makes no sense to me.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I concur with Andrews deadly doubleheader!
    Last edited by .264winmag; 01-20-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I prefer to keep the weight just centered under my shoulder blades, with an integral frame or external frame pack and as tight to my back as is comfortable.

For MOST loads, I found my two NICE rigs superior to any other packs I have used, except the old Bozeman-made Dana Design Terra framed models.

Now, however, I find the SO Divide kicks butt, however, I have yet to carry a big load with it.

Horses for courses, eh, different body types will find some pack designs superior to others and some experimentation helps to find your own "sweet spot".

JMHO.

Hmm, leverage is leverage. Being 5'6" 165# leverage is a big deal. My partner has 6" and 40# on me, leads the way on the way in. In my rear view on the way out however...

Alot of u guys hate on eberlestocks

just like alot of people started hating on firstlite now that sitka released a new pattern

to each theyre own, compared to what i used to use. The j107 is a solid, comfortable expanding day-bag with expanding meat packing ability or a 1/2/3 day capable bag with the spike duffle. Suits my needs and purpose
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    Alot of u guys hate on eberlestocks

just like alot of people started hating on firstlite now that sitka released a new pattern

to each theyre own, compared to what i used to use. The j107 is a solid, comfortable expanding day-bag with expanding meat packing ability or a 1/2/3 day capable bag with the spike duffle. Suits my needs and purpose
    When you try one of the "Big 4" your attitude will change.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Tight against shoulders and up high? Makes no sense to me.
    Up high being above the bottom of the pack and tight being as close to the load bearing frame as possible. Your body type is pretty much exact opposite of me but I've used the kuiu pro with load sling and I even think my kifaru frame has a load sling and there's absolutely no way putting that much weight away from your body isn't going to have a negative effect on being able to stand up.