Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Re: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I'm starting to sound like a fanboy, even though I actually quite despise much of the owner's political beliefs....but...

I like the Kuiu Icon Pro series (I have one, so I'm biased and I acknowledge that) because it's light, seems strong (although I know there are some reports of the carbon cracking, but those aren't common reports from my research), and versatile. What I mean by versatile is that I have 3 different sized bags that all fit on the same frame and they only take a few minutes to swap out. I have the 5200 (good for moderate length outings of a few nights, etc), the 3200 (good for a night or two and not too big for a day pack), and the 1850 (great for daypack only trips). That's pretty handy, if you ask me. And the price isn't crazy if you can score it on a good sale (frequent).
    Also, the load hauler option is a big deal...to be able to pop the bag away from the frame to have space to secure meat...big deal. Also a good reason to leave the 5200 on and just cinch it down as a daypack...then you can use both the load hauler and fill it with meat.

For what you seem to want, my needs are much the same, I bought a Seek Outside Divide pack, MC, with their lid, largest outside pocket, the Talon and extra belt pockets, plus extra buckle and straps. I just received my new belt pockets today and I have NEVER owned/used a pack that I liked better.

You will pay for it, but, SO is THE BEST to deal with I have yet to experience, they come to the BC sheep show and they also have sales every so often.

The packs are LIGHT, very sturdy and just plain work, I cannot recommend them too highly.

I just picked up my Badlands 2200 from Sumas Pick IT UP. Haven't opened it yet but I did quite a bit of research before decided on it. Your needs sound similar to what I wanted in a pack. I myself couldn't justify the cost of buying more than one bag right now. I felt that getting a bag that could be used both as a day pack, which I think the 2200 might be a bit large for that but it does compress, and as a multi day pack was the best way to go. Wanted it in the realtree and Badlands was out of stock. Could have picked it up for $299.99 before tax at Cabela's abbotsford. Went to Amazon.com and found the realtree 2200, a 2L Badlands hydration system and a rain cover for $328 CAD taxes included. Was an offer I couldn't refuse

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Also, the load hauler option is a big deal...to be able to pop the bag away from the frame to have space to secure meat...big deal. Also a good reason to leave the 5200 on and just cinch it down as a daypack...then you can use both the load hauler and fill it with meat.
    I thought that a hiking pack might work, but the more i've been thinking about it, the more i realize how important the "load hauler" or "meat shelf" really is. It really seems like a great idea. As for a large pack being used as a day pack .... it can work except I find that when cinched down the pack is still fairly big (wide and tall) and there are a lot of extra straps that are now flapping in the wind or getting caught on things. Can get annoying.

The kuiu packs have some odd design flaws that are tough to overlook. Their buckle system is quite difficult to use on some stuff (like the gun sling) and have more moving parts than is necessary. They are also pretty easy to break.
    Also, while they have similar weights on their packs as SG, Seek, Exo, etc, but they have a lot of extra pockets on a couple of their models. Extra pockets, are extra hardware and extra fabric, so you have to wonder where the weight savings actually comes from.....

Save your pennies and buy an EXO 2200. Or 3500 and be ultra versatile.

From my experiences I finally settled on a mystery ranch bag. it has been super durable in the shit too. Owned 3 different badlands pack and none fit comfortably. Bought myself a "nice" frame and metcalf bag and have not looked back, the metcalf works well for 5-8 day hunts and the nice frame system carries very well. I also considered stone glacier, 9/10 for mystery ranch for me and the only reason 9/10 is because I wish it had a better rifle carrying system.

If you want to try out a higher end pack. Your welcome to come test mine out, I'm located in kamloops. I run a kifaru EMR ii, a kifaru AMR, and a stone glacier sky 7400. For most hunts I prefer the stone glacier but they are all legit bomber packs. The EMR2 can haul more than i care to carry, i love the amr for the versatility and the easy access rear pockets, i dont have to open the entire pack. I run mine with 2 spotting scope pockets on the side and it works wonders and gives the EMR2 a run for its money.

Last edited by Carbonmatrix; 01-18-2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: pics

Thanks everyone who had responded so far. It seems there isn't tons of consensus yet. What I'm reading is something like I may be able to get something less expensive than the top end bags if it fits me reasonably well, but it's hard to beat going to the top end for comfort and durability. Oh and the meat shelf is a big deal, and I must agree based on my use case. Love to hear more weigh ins. I live in greater Vancouver, so might mean some visits to stores to try things on.

I'm in Coquitlam if you want to see what the Kuiu bags are like (I promise I'm not a shill - it's just what I have and they are generally hard to see in person if you don't know someone with one).