Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Re: Which Hunting Pack should I buy?

Furthermore, how long do you guys keep meat in the sealed waterproof bags? I know the game bags themselves are the breathable kind, but i mean the waterproof ones you put them in to keep meat from leaking in your pack. Is there a rule of thumb for this regarding your pack out distance and outside temperature? Or even a guideline?

Sorry guys but that pic is the 'best' 130lbs will carry.

It is still the EXACT same volume of gear/meat as I would have if it was all inside a bag but with the load sling I can ensure that 100% of the meat mass is against my back and not creating extra fatigue due to a higher and farther outwards center of gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Sorry guys but that pic is the 'best' 130lbs will carry.

It is still the EXACT same volume of gear/meat as I would have if it was all inside a bag but with the load sling I can ensure that 100% of the meat mass is against my back and not creating extra fatigue due to a higher and farther outwards center of gravity.
    How did the SG handle compared to your buddies Kuiu?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Furthermore, how long do you guys keep meat in the sealed waterproof bags? I know the game bags themselves are the breathable kind, but i mean the waterproof ones you put them in to keep meat from leaking in your pack. Is there a rule of thumb for this regarding your pack out distance and outside temperature? Or even a guideline?
    I just buy waterproof stuffsacks and contractor bags. Quit using gamebags as they just get saturated anyway inside the non-breathable bags. Deboned meat gets spread out on contractor bags while butchering/skinning to initiate cooling. Then all meat inside con bag, then inside stuffsack. Lay on packframe and spread out evenly from top to bottom as flat as possible. Tie up and close/clip flap on stuffsack. Use compression straps on pack to cinch tight and hold the long flat sausage form. Throw in creek overnight, or pack in snow, even a cool low spot works fine. Once chilled it stays surprisingly cool during the day, we still dunk in creeks every night during the pack out.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    There is an important part you guys are missing out when razzing Andrew for that pic ..... the weight of the bag itself. The bag is still (I assume) significantly lighter than the load of meat. In which case it is OK for the bag to be somewhat away from your back, compared to the heavy load of meat.

if you can get the meat to sit well packed, INSIDE your pack, and against your back, then that is fine, but i have not found anything that keeps its shape and keeps meat from sinking into a ball at the bottom. SR80, what kind of bags are those? If they really work for this purpose, then I would like to give them a try. EDIT: Found them online. Wow. Expensive. What material are they made out of? Can't tell from the pictures.

My father recently got a sewing machine to make certain mods to our gear, straps etc, so i think this year i will try and sew up some game bags myself specifically for using with a load shelf. Making them tall and skinny to get the flattest load possible against the pack. Will post results of how that goes.

Besides, a frame with a load shelf can't be beat when you need to pack heavy awkward things that will not fit inside your pack. Like large quarters. Load shelf would help out greatly there.

EDIT: Another edit .... an idea just occurred to me. Tent stuff sacks!! Why wouldn't a large tent stuff sack work?! It's cylindrical and long and all you would have to do is turn it inside out and run some seam sealer on the seams to keep it waterproof. I'm thinking it would work very well for keeping meat nicely stacked in the pack or on the load shelf. Thoughts?
    I think that's a great idea, any idea where you could buy just the tent sacks without the rest of the 'stuff'? I too have had issues with the meat balling up at the bottom, I can tie it securely all the way up with string on my pack, but that's a pain in the ass..

I'm thinking that no matter what width meat bag you use, you could simply roll the excess width the same as a roll top dry bag, then use a couple compression straps to maintain that form and attach it to your pack.

I'm still a huge fan of the zipper closure pillow cases, as they're fly proof and allow moisture to escape which helps keep meat from spoiling. That said, I'm coming around to the idea of contractor bags in conjunction for water cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I think that's a great idea, any idea where you could buy just the tent sacks without the rest of the 'stuff'?...
    MEC has them for $16.30 each, I know that is a swear word to some but camo-up and head in, it's fun
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I was just boring the grocery bin from loblaws for the day, i already returned it.

The tag bags are pricey, but they are worth it in my opinion. Throw em in the washing machine afterwards and they come out brand new again. That material does not stretch, so it stays tall and vertical in the pack no problem and it is breathable and bugs cannot get through it.

Kifaru makes a meat bag made from similar material as a tent stuff sack, but is a lot stronger than a tent stuff sack, which would most likely split at the seams.

https://store.kifaru.net/meat-bags-p28.aspx

X2 for the zippered pillow cases my mystery ranch metcalf nice preformed great and stays relatively small for day pack

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    MEC has them for $16.30 each, I know that is a swear word to some but camo-up and head in, it's fun
    Mountain equipment co OP eh, awesome thanks..