Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever miss the shot of the lifetime.

Ever miss the shot of the lifetime.

I did.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ever miss the shot of the lifetime.

I did the same, but on a decent 4 point. Lined him up not noticing a small aspen tree 4' high and very spindly between him and I. Took my rest and fired....nothing. Shot was about 150 yards. The does take off into the trees and the buck follows. Luckily I had my buck call on hand and blew it like crazy, one of the does came back out to investigate and low and behold the buck followed her. One more shot, this time at a slightly different angle and not 175 yards and he went down. As I walked up to him I noticed the little aspen and what looked like the tip of one of the branches freshly broken off or more likely shot off.... It all ended well though.

I messed up the shot of a life time on the biggest Black Tail buck I have ever laid my eyes on, a real tank ! I will never forget it and it will haunt me forever.
    I was hunting with a buddy 4 years ago he had his rifle and I had my bow. After an unsuccessful morning we were driving out, and I said there is a spot that I have always seen allot of sign in but have not hunted it for about a year. I parked the truck, & we walked in to these old over grown trails. I told my buddy to take the high rd and I will take the low. As I entered the old, over grown Rd I knocked an arrow and got ready, there were rubs everywhere and plenty sign.

I had not walked in 30 yards when the biggest bodied brute of a buck jumps down right in front of me, with his nose to the ground, less then 10 yards away.He was a heavy 5 point over 200 pound monster Black tail. He stood broad side to me, I could not believe my luck
    I started to draw on him, my eyes fixed on him, while he stood there with his nose too the ground, I still could not believe my luck! My eyes were glued to the buck when I started drawing back I was not paying attention when I lifted my bow I saw the arrow had come off the rest and was now on my forearm??? I flicked the arrow off my forearm and back to the rest, it hit the riser making a audible "clink"! F...&^%$#^K

The buck spooked and jumped back 10 feet and stood still broad side again watching me. I drew back again and that was all the movement the buck needed to book it out of there! I was left standing there in disbelief, I could not believe that I had just ****ed that up! The next day I changed my arrow rest to a whisker biscuit, so that would never happen again.
    I built a blind on the path way and spent countless days sitting and waiting for another shot at the buck hoping he would return and give me another opportunity, but he never did. I still think about that day and all the things I did wrong!

Missed a booner Typical Muley some 25 years ago and it still haunts me!! Scouted this buck the day before and he was just awesome! I figured he was between 195 and 200". Long story short I missed him at a long distance on opening day. Sure wish I had a range finder...doh.
    Live to Hunt...

Atleast your fallow up shot was good. I took a off hand shot at 80 yards across a tiny valley at a 4x3 island BT. He jumped and ran straight down hill so I gave myself a mental high five. Waited 20 and walked to where I shot. No blood... so I fallowed in the direction I saw him go... head down looking for blood I hear a "crack" look up and 10 yards in front of me there he is!! Standing..... well fumbalina couldnt chamber and draw fast enough... watched him hop away. Even let out a pathetic "meh" nope.. lol! Was happy to see I didnt completely botch the shot and wound him but was pissed I made a crappy shot and didnt kill him. I rushed it. Blamed the scope.
    I always shoot off a rest at the range and am pretty accurate. Went to the range and did a couple dry fires and noticed I pull the rifle down when pulling the trigger when off hand. Live fire proved correct. Scope was good ha. Lesson learned. Find a rest
    perseverance pays off

Missed a very nice WT buck 3 years ago. Hunting just inside the timber edge, I looked over my left shoulder as I thought I sensed something. He was just ducking under a fir bow walking in my direction and when he brought his head up he saw me and paused. we stared at each other for what felt like forever and then i made my move and turned and brought the rifle up and as I did my movement was enough for him so he decided to bolt back into the timber, Did get a shot off and I found hair but never any blood, about 45 mins later my buddy and I saw him bolting across an opening, all this took place at no more than 20yds...
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I missed what we figure was a 215-225" Mulie back in 2009. Heading up on a late season goat hunt in 2' of snow. He was gone before anyone could react. Still think about him often

Shot a large bodied 6x6 bull elk thru the neck at 15 yrds on the prophet river back in the early 90's that I didn't get to harvest..my mistake was taking a neck shot when I should have put one behind the shoulder.The yr before our hunting party took 3 - 4 pnt mulies all neck shots and that was on my mind when I pulled the trigger,havent attempted a neck shot since..

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Post Re: Ever miss the shot of the lifetime.

Great post and thread findlay, tough shot with the wind/weather and all, not accounting for the Bull fever I'm sure was amped up by the fact your Dad was there. Great follow up shots too. I technically missed on my WT buck this year, not a trophy by any means but we were running short on meat for the season and he would have topped us off until next year. Just left the truck with pack on and rifle slung on shoulder (tube empty due to active walking trails on the way to my spot, full mag in) and I hear a quad coming. Damn i just got to hunting and chances are good any buck would hear the quad and run. Duck down behind some wet alders and let buddy pass. Just then I get this feeling of being watched, look to my right and there he is a decent 4 pt WT standing broadside sniffing the wind, (buddy on the atv unknowingly drove him right into me). I spin to my right and try to get the gun up, I have the wind and I know he hasn't seen me yet, get the scope covers off and just starting to settle on the vitals when he ducks his head to smell the ground, readjust and squeeze, "CLICK" oh yeah I forgot something. Buck hears it and bolts down the hill and gone. Woulda coulda shoulda but I had nightmares until season end about that buck, keep telling myself "safety first" and I did the right thing not loading one in the chamber while travelling busy trails (dog walking/mountain bike) up to the cutoff spot to my stand a few km's in. The next day my brother shot his first buck ever with much celebration and fridge is sufficiently full so all's well in the end. Hope to have pics of him on the cams for next year.
    Last edited by Linksman313; 01-16-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: 2 YEAR OLD HIT ENTER BUTTON

Takla interesting you mention that one of my hunting partners only takes neck shots on deer to save more meat. Mind you he shoots them with a 338 win mag����