Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater for Car Camping?

Re: Heater for Car Camping?

I also have a 3 inch thick foam from the foam shop that completely insulates me from the truck bed.
    That and 2 sleeping bags make sleeping very comfortable down to -15.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

You can use a product that the plumbers wrap hot water tanks in. It's a thin bubble wrap with foil on either side. This material has approx. an R6 value and is 1/4" thick. The foil reflects the heat/cold with the bubble wrap center being the thermal break. It is tough as hell and can mould right around you. I've used it for mutiple uses, but can be layed right on frozen ground before you put your sleeping pad down.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I don't get all the resistance to sleeping in a vehicle, I do it quite often through out the year, and I'm always quite warm and comfortable. Tents are a pain in the ass in the rain or snow, are noisy in windy conditions, and slow you down if you want to be highly mobile. A cast iron pot with lid tossed in a fire for a few hours before bed time and then placed on bit of reflective duct insulation will radiate heat and a UCO candle lantern strategically placed will warm and prevent condensation in winter conditions.

Appreciate the feedback guys, lot's of great ideas! Lining the bed with pink or blue foam and bubble wrap insulation are all genius, so is using a candle lantern etc.

Just to be clear fellers, this car camping solution is for those nights where you absolutely can not drive any further and need to sleep roadside, or as Tuner mentioned when the rain/snow/wind is too immense for a tent and you need to temporarily escape (I'm not hardcore enough just yet to withstand some modern comforts). My thoughts are that a good car camping solution adds to your arsenal of flexibility as a hunter when and if you need it much like a leatherman does.

Thanks again! More ideas are def welcome!

ive slept in my ice fishing shelter with a mr heater going all night with no issues, but if you were to try it in a car I would suggest getting a carbon monoxide alam, they sell battery powered ones very cheap. but I agree with most to say I don't get a good nights rest in the back seat. if its only for one night, or a few hours I just let my truck run, its fairly new and I'm not to worried about a exhaust leak.

sleeping in a car has one huge benefit for me .... I can get to the trail head the night before and just take off in the morning, without having to pack up my tent. I sleep on a plywood platform i made in my jeep and put my thermarest on top of that. Works well for me even in sub zero temps.

Sleeping in a car has one huge downside as well .... condensation. I always end up with condensation inside when its cold outside. If there isn't much wind it happens in the tent too .... just not enough air flow to keep the air from moving and condensing against the tent fly.

As for heaters .... i don't run one and i never would. A vehicle is a very small space to be using a heater. Just get a better sleeping bag and wrap a spare shirt around your face if your exposed face is cold.

I have a 1/4 inch plywood bottom to get a nice flat surface, a 3 inch foam pad from my cot, and a -12 or -28 sleeping bag.

I keep the front window (closest to cab) 1/2 open, and put a cut pool noodle on the top of my canopy covering the gap between cab and canopy. It helps keep rain out with the window open.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Some guys go to great lengths....

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach