Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater for Car Camping?

Heater for Car Camping?

Hey all, what sort of heaters do you use when camping in your car/suv/truck? Is there anything safe out there? If I leave the windows slightly open and use something like a portable Mr Heater will I die in my sleep?
    Any recommendations would be great as waking up periodically to crank the car heat is bullsh**.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heater for Car Camping?

Do you have a tent, and good sleeping bag? You will be better off sleeping on the ground.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

x2 on the tent, sleeping in a vehicle is laying on a big metal heat sink, that has wind above and below it.
    tent is more comfortable i find anyways.

or if you must, invest in some good foamies, or the hard pink/blue foam board, made a hell of a difference in the bed of a truck
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

IDK what's good but I really like to be insulated from the ground in the cold. Raised is fine. Pick a good spot and you may even have a decent windbreak. Soft lining and a sleep system as you'd use elsehwere, probably wouldn't even need a heater. But if it got bad, smol generater and an electric heater. No propane/fume type shyte in any enclosed space.

Or just Wall Tent?

lol

I never leave the heater on at night. You only really need it in the morning to change and get out of bed.
    I wouldn't leave a propane heater on while I sleep
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

^^^ The generator running a small wattage electric heater is the safest in terms of emitting no dangerous fumes,
    However you still have to be cognizant that it is set up in a manner that it won't set anything on fire, a two thousand watt generator would be a minimum, in order to run up to a 700 W heater.

Sleeping in vehicles other than actual camping vehicles sucks, but if you really want to do it- get something to insulate you really well from the bottom. Then you want lots and lots of blankets above and below. Enough so it doesn't matter how cold it gets outside you are nice and cozy.

In the morming, start car and turn on the heater. I wouldn't use a gas or propane heater while I slept, even with the window open.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ive used the small heaters in tents all the time, their vented enough, i wouldnt do it in a vehicle, once temps get real cold, being in a car is worse than a tent. the ,metal turns to an ice chest and golds cold in

If you get a 6" foam and half decent sleeping bag for the cold you should be good. I to would also not use a propane heater while you are sleeping. I have slept in the back of the truck many times and have not been cold since we got our better sleeping bags. Are actually getting hot during the night now.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva_Hunts View Post
    ....... If I leave the windows slightly open and use something like a portable Mr Heater will I die in my sleep?
    understand anything with a flame or that burns fuel, consumes Oxygen and produces poison CO
    Battery operated CO monitors with alarms can be had for under $20

But the cost and effort for a more comfortable sleep is so easy, I would never consider sleeping in a vehicle for more than a couple of hours nap.
    And if the party is too loud, just walk a little further away
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole