Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bull moose, size Sm

Re: Bull moose, size Sm

What a beauty bull! Looks tasty! Good work de boning that sucker. Thanks for postin

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    Awesome story and pics. What was your weight allowance? and what was the cost for the flights? This kind of trip is on my bucket list.
    Thanks for posting
    i want to say 1200 lbs was the limit, including passengers. So we were 450 of human weight, think 4-500 lbs for a big moose boned out, leaves around 300 lbs for gear. We used an ax and bow saw for fire wood, small tent, etc. to save on weight. We had to dispose of a gunny sack full of beer before the flight home, and we burried a bottle of rum under a tree in case we ever return.

Think it was $10/mile, pay both ways on each flight, 40 mile minimum. So $1600 ish. Actually quite expensive considering we had to share the lake

I plan on doing this again in a year or two, perhaps back to the same lake, but with new expectations.

Awesome story and pics. Thx for taking the time to post.
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

Good job guys. Love the pics!
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Very well done on the moose and the story and pics congrats! And like mr Dean said, looks like you guys deboned yourmoose very well...that is my dream to kill a moose while hunting from my canoe, when you shot were you shooting broadside, and lol did it feel like your boat would tip at all from the recoil?
    sorry not answering till now...

Shooting from the canoe is fine, recoil does not seem to be an issue. Both times I have taken a moose from the front of a canoe the guy paddling has been pretty good and set me up well, the best is to have the boat slightly angled. The slightest ripples on the water will throw off your aim substantially. You need to get quite close but the moose dont seem to mind. If wearing a pfd practice shooting with it on.
    Last edited by two-feet; 01-22-2017 at 04:55 PM.

aweseome. You can't complain about a trip like that where you get to do as much fishing as you do hunting.

How much did you guys travel from camp? Not far enough to find those big bulls or just in the wrong direction? Have you learned anything from the angle of locating animals?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    aweseome. You can't complain about a trip like that where you get to do as much fishing as you do hunting.

How much did you guys travel from camp? Not far enough to find those big bulls or just in the wrong direction? Have you learned anything from the angle of locating animals?
    Well its big country so you are hoping the bulls are drawn to the lakes in their pursuit of cows. I think the bulls travel lots during the rut, moving from lake to lake and other prime spots until they find some action. But covering ground is key to finding the fresh sign and figuring out the area, especially as it was our first time there. We were not looking for a big bull specifically, just any bull.

Is that each or together??
    Because 1600 together seems pretty cheap. But i assume it's each as StoneSheepSteve mentioned in another thread his sheep fly-ins cost about 1300 on average.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    i want to say 1200 lbs was the limit, including passengers. So we were 450 of human weight, think 4-500 lbs for a big moose boned out, leaves around 300 lbs for gear. We used an ax and bow saw for fire wood, small tent, etc. to save on weight. We had to dispose of a gunny sack full of beer before the flight home, and we burried a bottle of rum under a tree in case we ever return.

Think it was $10/mile, pay both ways on each flight, 40 mile minimum. So $1600 ish. Actually quite expensive considering we had to share the lake

$1600 all in, $800 per person