Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bull moose, size Sm

Bull moose, size Sm

We finally committed. It was winter of 2014 my friend and I were planning on a fly-in moose hunt out of Dease Lake for the fall of 2015, a life long dream for me. There were many emails and phone calls back and forth with the air charter company working on location, weight allowances and dates. After hours upon hours scouring maps and google earth, I was as tuned in with a location as is possible without actually being there. The thought of having a remote, northern lake all to our selves for a week was intoxicating! We wanted to fly in with the Beaver in one trip, and out with all of our gear and a moose in one trip as well. So everything was weighed and we kept to a fairly minimalist camp. Off we headed for the North country!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bull moose, size Sm

We camped by Kiniskan Lake on the way North and were scheduled to fly 8am the next morning. Of course the weather was poor so we fished the local holes until the clouds cleared off in the afternoon, then we loaded the Beaver and were off. The flight in was beautiful, with snow in the high country and rich colours everywhere. As we could see our lake in the distance we were giddy like school girls. Imagine how our spirits dropped as we circled the lake and saw a large, well equipped camp set up in the best location. This was not part of the plan!
    We kicked around the idea of moving to another lake but the pilot assured us there were one or more parties on any lake in close proximity, so we decided to stay. There were no other obvious locations to set up a camp, and as the pilot was in a rush we just got dumped out in a swamp with a little hill in behind. I immediately soaked one of my boots in the swamp, and we set up camp.

Oh ya this gonna be good!

As we were getting set up I hear my buddy say "Oh shit. Oh shit." Turns out he had his trigger lock on, with no key. Oh shit! To make a long story short, I went for a scout while he used the file on his leatherman to file it off. Crisis averted. We could not legally hunt that day so we organised our gear and settled in for a few beers around the fire. It was a full moon, the clouds were racing by, and the wolves were howling. Life is good.
    We awoke to snow and agreed to head into a swampy finger that extends behind camp for several km. We had gone about 200m when we heard a bull grunt. I at first thought it was some of the other hunters doing some calling but it was in fact a moose, 5 minutes into our first day. We tried to entice it with some calls but it ran around behind us literally into our camp and down the lake, giving us the slip. Good action to start things off.
    We hunted hard that morning and were seeing sign, like this rut pit.

There were tracks, scrapes and rut pits but day one ended without too much more happening. The wolves were howling on and off throughout the day to lend a touch of class to an already spectacular situation. The view from a prominent glassing knoll.

Meanwhile, the other party was doing their thing. We could see them zipping by in boats with little motors and hear the chain saw now and again. We paddled our little inflatable kayak to do a meet and greet. The 4 of them were not exactly happy to see us on the same lake but were polite enough. They had stories of 3 bulls coming off the very same lake 2 years ago but they had nothing in 5 or 6 days this trip. They eventually went home empty handed. It turns out they had flown in from Telegraph Creek so we had no way of knowing they were going to be there. There is a very nice moose skull in a tree where they were camped

Next day was more hard hunting. It was windy and rainy. We put on the miles, called and called but with no action. We got back to camp in the late afternoon and had a good feed of re-hydrated chilli, boiled several cup of tea on the fire and recovered tired muscles. As we still had an hour of light left my friend suggested we go for a paddle. It was still windy and as we were cutting across the lake he says to me "is that a bull moose?"
    Indeed, across the lake there was a younger bull coming out of the brush onto the grassy shore. We headed at an angle to intercept him. At about 200 yds he noticed the yellow boat with 2 dummies paddling towards him but it did not spook him, he just continued on his way. As we got closer I shifted my paddle around behind me and levered an 180gr Fedral blue box shell into the trusty M99 .300 savage. From time to time the bull would stop walking and take a good, long look at us but he never showed any alarm. At about 70 yds I waved for my navigator to stop paddling as I took a look through the scope, but with the light chop on the water it was totally impossible to settle the cross hairs. So we continued our game of cat and mouse. I tried again at 50 yds with the same result. At 30 yds my buddy slowed the boat and angled it so I would have a comfortable shot, and at that range I could keep the cross hairs within the kill zone. Boom!

Ohhh boy.a moose story in January!!! Keeper coming.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Moose down, fading light, time to get to work. We did the gutless method and completely stripped the carcass of meat. We then transferred the quarters to a tarp and de-boned everything.