Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bull moose, size Sm

Re: Bull moose, size Sm

We put in a request for the pilot to pull us out, but because of weather and a backlog of clients we sat for 3 days waiting for our ride out, We settled into a comfortable routine of watching for grizzlies (never saw a sign), catching and cooking fish, and carving spoons. We went on a few short hikes and paddles but mostly stayed close to camp to guard over the meat. Temps were not as low as we would have liked but we built a platform beside the water and rigged an open tent to let the wind through and keep the sun off.

Now thats a nice grayling!

Northern pike, bush craft style. Very delicious.

Great story. More of a size medium in my books!

Eventually the plane came and we loaded up. On the flight out we saw a big dark grizz about 2km from camp, and several very big bulls. The trip was great and we had our meat, but I learned several things. First, it is quite busy out there. I thought flying out of Dease would put us into empty country but we ended up having to share the hunting grounds, and the plane was flying overhead constantly supporting other groups. We twice heard shots from lakes around us. Im not saying it ruined the trip, just not what we were expecting. The second thing I learned is that there is not a moose under every tree up there, we had a lucky break but the other crew went home empty, and that could have been our fate. Third, aviation is unreliable because of many external factors. If we had of waited another day we would have lost our meat to spoiling.

All in all a great trip with great memories, now just waiting for spring bear season!

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Great story. More of a size medium in my books!
    Haha very generous of you, around here i would say medium but up there they get so damn big

Now, after reading your story and looking at the pic's, that was dam near like being there! And you guys cleaned them moose bones like a pack of wolves, sure didn't leave much for the crows! Sounds like the perfect fly in moose hunt for sure! Thanks for taking the time too put this post together, greatly appreciated!

Very well done on the moose and the story and pics congrats! And like mr Dean said, looks like you guys deboned yourmoose very well...that is my dream to kill a moose while hunting from my canoe, when you shot were you shooting broadside, and lol did it feel like your boat would tip at all from the recoil?