Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Methods for hunting coyotes?

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Methods for hunting coyotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    tie wire/bailing wire. once we had the cats come in, that carcass was taken down and a trap was set, and again, tied off some beaver in the trap with tie wire, bailing wire.
    seem to hold pretty good from the torn up tree..lol,
    Nice, I'll try something like that for the bait.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    You could buy an electronic caller from any sports store and either do territorial howls or rabbit in distress.(that's how I hunt coyotes) You could also buy a few cheap driveway alarms and put them around the chicken coup to let you know something is back around.
    thats a good idea wrt to the driveway alarms. I'm going to try that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I've got one of the left over chickens they've left hanging from a low branch in the orchard. Is that too obvious? Are they smart enough to know I'm baiting them?

what kind of call, should work best?

thanks
    Take dead chicken and random meat scraps,fat,bones,stinky salmon roe etc. put in 20 L pail fill with hot water and let sit until cool then freeze.This will keep them coming back until you kill them all! Take baitsicle out of freezer and let thaw for a couple hours to free the bucket put at your spot and hunt hard on it! If the baits there the yotes will be to but it might take some rabbit distress calls to get em outa the treeline.Hope this helps as it worked well for me last season

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sausage lover View Post
    Take dead chicken and random meat scraps,fat,bones,stinky salmon roe etc. put in 20 L pail fill with hot water and let sit until cool then freeze.This will keep them coming back until you kill them all! Take baitsicle out of freezer and let thaw for a couple hours to free the bucket put at your spot and hunt hard on it! If the baits there the yotes will be to but it might take some rabbit distress calls to get em outa the treeline.Hope this helps as it worked well for me last season
    Awesome! I can make that work.

If you want to make it personal hunt them try calling/baiting as others posted

If you really want the coyotes dealt with find a lisenced trapper. A good trapper will beat a hunter hands down traps work 24/7 and you can set multiple locations at once

I am a hunter/trapper and if I have a pest problem I go straight to trapping for a reason

Pm me ill come sit there for days till the howling stops

Not sure how your property layout is and how it would work with calling, possible to post a pic of a google maps screenshot of the place?> Might help with advice on setting up
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Do it right the first time or it just gets harder
    Scare them once in daylight and you will never see them coming again, but they may be coming

Just getting to the best time of year for yote calling, they rut hard
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Do it right the first time or it just gets harder
    Scare them once in daylight and you will never see them coming again, but they may be coming

Just getting to the best time of year for yote calling, they rut hard
    Learning that the hard way. I think I scared them off when I went out to check the bait yesterday afternoon. Tracks everywhere, coming in from a lower bench. Nothing last night or this morning. Don't hear them anymore, and now have warm weather coming in to melt my baitsicle.

Might have to invite a neighbor in to show me how to call for these f@(%ers. When is Coyote season?

they usually start running the beginning of Feb .