Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Methods for hunting coyotes?

Pemby_mess Guest

Methods for hunting coyotes?

So I was down in the city for a few days and the chicken coop got left open one night. Big slaughter. Looked to be two or three coyotes got in and took 9 birds. It looked like the roosters put up one he'll of a fight, but the dogs got the best of them.

Now, I can still hear them on the hill up above the property. What's the best way to lure them back in before it warms up again?

I would like to feed them to the surviving chickens if possible.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Methods for hunting coyotes?

If you can shoot on your property I would use a meatsicle and calls! Bait will bring them closer and make them hang around and calls to get them charging in.

Pemby_mess Guest

I've got one of the left over chickens they've left hanging from a low branch in the orchard. Is that too obvious? Are they smart enough to know I'm baiting them?

what kind of call, should work best?

thanks

They have a taste for chickens why not let them think you got a new batch of hens and use chicken skwwwaaaks?

If you don't have neighbour dogs to worry about , you could also set some snares ? Otherwise they will be back .... make the bait so that they cant just snatch it and run away .... if they have to dig or ? . First light is usually best time .
    Last edited by Dannybuoy; 01-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.

id tie it right to the tree, make sure they have to fight to get it off and run, or they will and you wont even get a shot off.

this brought in some cats, tree got shreded from them working at it to take off with it

Pemby_mess Guest

How'd you affix that carcase like that?

tie wire/bailing wire. once we had the cats come in, that carcass was taken down and a trap was set, and again, tied off some beaver in the trap with tie wire, bailing wire.
    seem to hold pretty good from the torn up tree..lol,

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I've got one of the left over chickens they've left hanging from a low branch in the orchard. Is that too obvious? Are they smart enough to know I'm baiting them?

what kind of call, should work best?

thanks
    You could buy an electronic caller from any sports store and either do territorial howls or rabbit in distress.(that's how I hunt coyotes) You could also buy a few cheap driveway alarms and put them around the chicken coup to let you know something is back around.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.