Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Re: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    Picked up SR80 and I's new frames and my new Sky 5900 bag tonight.
    LMAO do you guys even hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    Picked up SR80 and I's new frames and my new Sky 5900 bag tonight. First impression is good. Quite like the features on the bag. Tossed the pack on empty, ballparking the fit. Belt and shoulder straps feel quite good. Will spend some time tomorrow with 25lbs in it to get it fitted up. Suspect I'll need to play around some more before I can comment on the curved frame, but seems like it'll be a winner.

Won't bother with pics as the ones on Stone Glacier's site are far better than the ones I can take. Which are one notch above my drawing them by hand with crayons.
    You were going to meet me for coffee last weekend, no problem as I was a bit busy, but, if you do intend to meet me at Mission, or whatever, I would very much like to examine this pack.

The whole 5900 model as shown on SGs site impresses me as an ideal general duty long range trekking pack and this was my favourite game for decades. Solos over the Earl Grey Pass, usually about five days return from WK side, a week in the Valhallas, same in Kokanee Glacier during the winter and so on.

About 6000 cu. in. is just right for such uses and allows you to carry comfortably a few items such as photo gear, fishing gear and a few "ecology" manuals, should these interest you.

I don't "get" Razor's query, but, WTF, I am so old and decrepit that I don't really know much, anyway.........maybe he still lugs a "Trapper Nelson No 3", an instrument of torture I remember only too well......................

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    This is BS. There are a lot of products out there that are being sold for way more than they are actually worth. Look at most luxury cars or designer clothes. While i don't doubt that this is an EXCELLENT pack, the point here is that there are other excellent packs that DON"T cost $900.

Comparing Swaro to a Tasco is no contest. Of course this $900 pack is better than an entry level Cabela's pack for $120. But is it that much better than mystery ranch or badlands to warrant an extra $400 cost on top? I don't think so.
    Ever pack 110# for 35+km out the mountains?
    It's worth every cent...
    You have a smart phone at around $100/month?
    Take a few months off such 'necessities' and voila, comfy reliable lifeline/backpack.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Razor84 View Post
    No...I but i like to take pictures of the sun rise, does that count??

Quote Originally Posted by Razor84 View Post
    No, but I hike a lot. With a rifle. Does that count?
    Last edited by Lastcar; 01-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Ever pack 110# for 35+km out the mountains?
    It's worth every cent...
    You have a smart phone at around $100/month?
    Take a few months off such 'necessities' and voila, comfy reliable lifeline/backpack.
    People do it all the time with packs that don't cost 900 and don't complain about them .... mystery ranch for example. Can be had for way less than 900 and still happily used by thousands of North American hunters

As mentioned before it's not whether I have the money. I have the money. I just choose not to spend $900 on a backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    You were going to meet me for coffee last weekend, no problem as I was a bit busy, but, if you do intend to meet me at Mission, or whatever, I would very much like to examine this pack.

About 6000 cu. in. is just right for such uses and allows you to carry comfortably a few items such as photo gear, fishing gear and a few "ecology" manuals, should these interest you.

I don't "get" Razor's query, but, WTF, I am so old and decrepit that I don't really know much, anyway.........maybe he still lugs a "Trapper Nelson No 3", an instrument of torture I remember only too well......................
    I'll make it out there one of these times. I try to not to mention it unless I am confident I can make it. By midday Sunday it became apparent it wouldn't happen.

On my goat hunt this fall we were catching brookies damn near every cast, right from where we were glassing. What a way to spend the evening and save weight on food. Sadly moved on from that spot after 2 days. I'd love to be able to toss a line for pan fry swimming creatures on every trip. Crayfish would be another fun way to supplement the menu.

No idea what Razor is on about. My guess is it relates to our fascination with gear and year round obsessing over it. What can I say? Some of us like shiny objects to research and play with when not in the field. And love to have quality gear in the field.

I certainly remember being in my early 20's and using what I could to get in the backcountry. I am not one that thinks a guy or girl MUST have the latest or single purpose item before they can get out there.

Heck, I remember doing a quick overnighter up Frosty in Manning Park and one of the guys brought a pickle jar, full of pickles for dinner. I explained you know you could have just taken some out and put them in a bag? He packed a large jar, juice and all. Ate 6 of the 15 pickles in it.

We laughed ourselves silly about.

In the morning he pulled out a large plastic jar of Kraft peanut butter for breakfast.

We laughed even harder.

Even back then, I made sure I had a great pack and boots. But I didn't have the latest and greatest of much else. Didn't have the dough for much more than boots and a pack.

I bought a Arctreyx Bora pack in 97. The early years for the Bora packs. Used it up until 2012.

Had a few other packs along the way but that pack was a dream. That hip belt! Bought it from a small outdoors shop in Cranbrook in summer of 97 when I was working there for a summer. Wish I remember the name.

I don't remember the model of boots but I had a pair of Solomons that I loved.

Best part was due to funds, I wore those boots until the couldn't help but to fit well. But if I recall right, they were a great boot and never gave me problems.

Used Primus Grasshopper that was handed down from a family friend. One of my grandparents best friends. Was a dandy stove until finding fuel became far too tricky. Came with a supply of canisters but that ran dry.

Moved onto a Coleman white gas single burner. Was like a brick compared to what we have now.

Hell, when I was a kid I built a hobo stove from those 1 quart tomato juice cans. I'd go on all kind of adventures ill equipped and never missed beat.

I've been on both ends of it. None of it stopped me from getting into the backcountry. Nor does all the "fancy" gear I have now get me into the backcountry more. But FOR ME, I enjoy the gear side of it. God knows what the reasons are, some of which are probably not even logical. Heck, some of it is probably compensating for some other deficiency.

Also I take pics of sunrises. Always tag out on those.
    Last edited by Lastcar; 01-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Cool story man. You should post more "old school" stories. Lol pickles ... I love reading when guys used to just head into the hills in jeans and packed a loaf of bread and salami for sandwiches and didn't pay $1000 to have their bolt fluted to save 0.5oz lol.

While I admittedly fall more into the "modern" category, being born in the mid 80s and all, I do enjoy reading the old school trip write ups.

People will use what they want. No point ragging on others. This is just like the hunting clothing threads, always people saying how it's overpriced and not necessary. What may not be a needed item to one person might be to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Cool story man. You should post more "old school" stories. Lol pickles ... I love reading when guys used to just head into the hills in jeans and packed a loaf of bread and salami for sandwiches and didn't pay $1000 to have their bolt fluted to save 0.5oz lol.

While I admittedly fall more into the "modern" category, being born in the mid 80s and all, I do enjoy reading the old school trip write ups.
    I fall into modern as well, I am a mid 70's kid. I can't say I have a lot of experience with what we consider old school these days.

I discovered MEC RAD pants pretty early, so I was into the "technical" wear and gear in my early 20's. But my kids will laugh at pics of me in my blue RAD pants no doubt.

But also didn't do tons of research and bought what I could afford and thought was the best. Which wasn't often right, as I'd discover in the field. But at that point didn't know any better.

Make no mistake, I was not quite as raw or "hardcore" as pickle boy.

I am sure I brought ramen noodles or something. Something light and easily packed. And a big chunk of donkey dink. Aka salami. Cheese and bagels too. Mustard packets from a hotdog stand and would make up sandwiches every day.

And Snickers. Snickers were my go to.

To this day I will have a landjagger in every daily meal bag.

I will fully admit for me, the pursuit of fancy gear is part of the fun. But that applies to all my activities. Fishing is just as bad. Islander reels, sage rods, Simms this, Simms that etc.

For those that turn their nose up at gear whores...or guys without the latest and greatest...

I could give a crap what a guy buys, or owns or if he even gets out to use it or not. If it makes him happy, rock on. I admire the guys who just make do. Whether for financial reasons or just cause that is the way they roll. None of my business.

Who gives a hell if he actually goes out and hunts with all his fancy gear?

Or who cares if he hunts in a wetsuit and a clown wig?

In the end, if a guy is advocating for wildlife and hunting rights he is on our side, good enough for me.

Buys tags and gives back financially or volunteer time in other ways to wildlife?

Even better.

Explains why he or she hunts in a way that helps non-hunters understand and be supportive of hunting rights?

Well, now we are winning the lottery.

This is about the time we start to note how many days until bear season right? As the off season cabin fever kicks in...