Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Re: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    6'4" 210lb .... 43" chest, pant size 34. Let me know what you have and most importantly price
    I need to hire you to be my packer. You can even wear my fancy ass pack!

You are not wrong about the MR packs. I was surprised when someone told me the price at GR. Who I will say has some pretty out of line prices themselves.

The first pack I had with a load shelf was a US made MR Longbow with NICE frame. Even was the limited run Sitka Optifade Open Country.

You know if you want to be all OCD about camo and insanely gung-ho about a brand.

But in all seriousness that bag is a commodity to this day. Also a mighty fine pack, but weighed 7.5lbs and was a day pack or tight two-night pack in early season. Loved it though, but needed to shave the weight. See below.

Long gone, sold to try KUIU, which I sold to try a Stone Glacier. Won't even get into that. KUIU works for some, not for others.

Been plenty happy with it and in the end, I look at it like others said...

Boots and packs matter.

To me having a pack that I love to wear for all the right reasons is worth every dime. I'm a smaller guy (5'8", 160lbs, 30 pant size) so saving a 1.5lbs matters to me. I'll pay for those weight savings without losing performance as well.

I'd love a pack that does what the SG for me and my situation that cost 25% of the amount.

Still working on the boots. Damn it...guys who say they have boots that fit like a dream are killing me.

BUT DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BOOT THREAD! No boot replies. I hate threads that come off the rails almost as much as Dewey hates...well basically everything.

I guess the real question is why it bothers you so much. Life is short. Do your thing. Be happy with it. Keep on keepin' on. Chase critters. Spend time with people you dig. When you've maxed out on that, take on the overpriced pack industry.

Even if you are right and we all wrong, what do you get out of it? Other than a few hours of your life mashing keys you'll never get back...wait, I am doing the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    I'd love a pack that does what the SG for me and my situation that cost 25% of the amount.
    Yes. My original comment wasn't meant to spark a debate it was more so expressing my shock at the sticker price. I had no idea backpacks, in this day and age, had climbed to over $900 in price :O

Still working on the boots. Damn it...guys who say they have boots that fit like a dream are killing me.
    Even the most expensive boots still don't even come close to the $900 mark. In fact, besides optics no item costs as much as some packs now days.

what do you get out of it? Other than a few hours of your life mashing keys you'll never get back...wait, I am doing the same thing!
    that's what the internet is for
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-13-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Yes. My original comment wasn't meant to spark a debate it was more so expressing my shock at the sticker price. I had no idea backpacks, in this day and age, had climbed to over $900 in price :O

Even the most expensive boots still don't even come close to the $900 mark. In fact, besides optics no item costs as much as some packs now days.

that's what the internet is for
    All solid points.

I lose my mind at the price of a lot of things these days. I went to the store the other day to buy two potatoes. Don't ask. They were 65 cents. At first I was all excited, I mean when can you buy something for under a dollar. Then I realized it was two potatoes and resumed feeling ripped off. Also, double check the list you were given before you leave the store.

We "needed" new towels recently. I actually think based on price per square foot of materials towels are more expensive than a Hilleberg tent. Less waterproof too! To be fair, this guy right here can't stand crappy towels.

But for the love of god, she needs to learn to do what I do. Take the actual cost, cut it in half and then take another 10% off, then tell her about the purchase while complaining how expensive the item was.

"God damn it! This new Stone Glacier pack cost $405. Can you believe what they charge these days? I mean it is a great pack, but c'mon!" Then she points her outrage the company, not me.

But really I am lucky, it is "my hunting money" so as long as purchases comes from that then no questions or grief occurs. Have a very generous hunting budget, and a very supportive wife with all the hunting and fishing endeavors. She even deals with the anti's for me. For a city girl and normally timid person, she don't mess around when it comes to hunting and other food supply and nutrition topics. Well she grew up in Dallas so probably not your normal city girl.

Re: boots, I just meant I haven't found any that I think "holy shit" where have you been all my life. I have had many pairs I've liked. But nothing that matches the love some have for their boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    All solid points.

I lose my mind at the price of a lot of things these days. I went to the store the other day to buy two potatoes. Don't ask. They were 65 cents. At first I was all excited, I mean when can you buy something for under a dollar. Then I realized it was two potatoes and resumed feeling ripped off. Also, double check the list you were given before you leave the store.

We "needed" new towels recently. I actually think based on price per square foot of materials towels are more expensive than a Hilleberg tent. Less waterproof too! To be fair, this guy right here can't stand crappy towels.

But for the love of god, she needs to learn to do what I do. Take the actual cost, cut it in half and then take another 10% off, then tell her about the purchase while complaining how expensive the item was.

"God damn it! This new Stone Glacier pack cost $405. Can you believe what they charge these days? I mean it is a great pack, but c'mon!" Then she points her outrage the company, not me.

But really I am lucky, it is "my hunting money" so as long as purchases comes from that then no questions or grief occurs. Have a very generous hunting budget, and a very supportive wife with all the hunting and fishing endeavors. She even deals with the anti's for me. For a city girl and normally timid person, she don't mess around when it comes to hunting and other food supply and nutrition topics. Well she grew up in Dallas so probably not your normal city girl.

Re: boots, I just meant I haven't found any that I think "holy shit" where have you been all my life. I have had many pairs I've liked. But nothing that matches the love some have for their boots.
    lol ... this actually made me laugh.

i have a very generous account too .... but i emptied it on a motorbike, and now have to pay for insurance for it in the spring. $900 pack? Ain't nobody got a budget for that!

As for the boots .... sometimes i think the folks who praise their boots to high heaven might have just spent 30 years hunting in sh*t footwear before finally stepping into a premium pair of boots and seeing the light for the first time .... ehh ... i dunno. I've been wearing quality hikers for a while so i'm in the same boat as you. I love them, but not enough to completely discount everything i wore before them. I was lucky to have parents who believed in quality footwear so i wore premium footwear even when i was a kid/teenager before i made my own money.

Geez, some people's kids, eh!

Picking on a geriatric wreck like me and then yakking about packs, boots, wives, costs.......helluva thing, sassy young'un!

This is BS. There are a lot of products out there that are being sold for way more than they are actually worth. Look at most luxury cars or designer clothes. While i don't doubt that this is an EXCELLENT pack, the point here is that there are other excellent packs that DON"T cost $900.

Comparing Swaro to a Tasco is no contest. Of course this $900 pack is better than an entry level Cabela's pack for $120. But is it that much better than mystery ranch or badlands to warrant an extra $400 cost on top? I don't think so.
    Have the new MR really fallen that far as to be compared directly with badlands????

but see, you say that as if buying a $500 pack is cheap. As if that's not under the category of "cry once" ..... $500 for a backpack is STILL a lot of money!
    But i do agree .... buy the BEST you can afford, or spend the most you choose to spend on a particular item.

The thing with these $900 backpacks is that it's utterly ridiculous what the prices have reached. I bet most professional guides don't even spend $900 for a pack.
    As i said before, i'm sure they are amazing packs, no doubt, but the prices have reached ridiculous levels. So much so that for a weekend warrior such as myself who would only do a few pack in hunts per year, i'm actually debating just getting a bigger Osprey hiking pack and using that for significantly less money.
    They're 900 bucks because of our crappy exchange rate. There is nothing confusing about the weights listed on the website, and there is also a link on the SG website showing them testing the frames and bags with 300+ lbs. I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but guys that pack into the mountains for 10+ days at a time want a light weight comfortable pack, that can handle 100+ lbs if they are lucky enough to kill a ram or other game. For me, its worth saving up the pennies to buy a good pack. Sure i could buy a kuiu or tenzing pack for cheaper but I wouldnt trust those packs 25km deep. I also dont mind paying more for top notch customer service and warranty. Kurt made me a custom belt for my old SG frame and didnt even charge me for it, shipped it to my door for nothing. Do you think MR would do that?? Heck no!

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    They're 900 bucks because of our crappy exchange rate. There is nothing confusing about the weights listed on the website, and there is also a link on the SG website showing them testing the frames and bags with 300+ lbs. I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but guys that pack into the mountains for 10+ days at a time want a light weight comfortable pack, that can handle 100+ lbs if they are lucky enough to kill a ram or other game. For me, its worth saving up the pennies to buy a good pack. Sure i could buy a kuiu or tenzing pack for cheaper but I wouldnt trust those packs 25km deep. I also dont mind paying more for top notch customer service and warranty. Kurt made me a custom belt for my old SG frame and didnt even charge me for it, shipped it to my door for nothing. Do you think MR would do that?? Heck no!
    When I bought into MR it was largely due to their lauded customer service. Shortly after they streamlined everything and it seemed to go downhill. If I was starting over again I'd be saving up for a stone glacier or seek outside.... not to say I don't love my metcalf/6500 combo on the good old fashioned nice frame

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Geez, some people's kids, eh!

Picking on a geriatric wreck like me and then yakking about packs, boots, wives, costs.......helluva thing, sassy young'un!
    One of the things I like about BBD is his ability to see the humour in a good natured ribbing. Sometimes I suspect he might not be the cantankerous curmudgeon he manifests in his writing.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Do you have any idea how many people hit the mountains for 10 days or more and don't have a Stone Glacier pack? It's ok to be a fanboy, but lets not continue to act as if Stone Glacier is the only pack worthy of a trip to the mountains.