Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Re: New Sone Glacier Xcurve Frame

Laughed at the pickle story, mostly cause I resembled that story at one time. Haha.

Shortly after getting my drivers license in the early 90's, me and a pard did an overnight hike into the north Monashees. While I don't recall all my gear choices, I do recall a couple items.
    -2 1/2 pound fallers axe(really handy above treeline)
    -Aluminum coffee pot with a couple rocks to warn bears
    -8" cast iron fry pan(lake we were heading towards had no fish, but I might have brought potatoes. Regardless it never got used. LOL.
    -Steel toe Rocky work boots adorned my feet and a 90liter Outbound pack was mounted on my back.

Never made the lake, slept on 3' of snow(July long)and my pack weighed 90lbs when I got home. The good old days, when I could stand on a 250lb bathroom scale with a loaded pack and not wrap the needle....

Come a little way since then for sure.

Those from the lower mainland who have hiked to Flora lake will know what a bitch it is .... Ween there with a buddy one year who hiked up and down to the lake with some beers. Put them in the lake to cool and had them popped by a kid throwing rocks off the shore ... lol.

I've also gone out and packed nothing but hard boiled eggs and candy for a trip. it worked. The things you can get away with when you're 18. Not as bad as pickle boy, but it still makes me cringe looking back at it.

The look on his face when I said you could have just put those in a Ziploc bag and saved the weight of the jar, juice and extra pickles...

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Obviously.

Can't remember if it was him or someone else on another trip, get to the destination and they reach into their pack all excited about the bottle of red wine they brought. Then spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out where on the hike in it broke.

Got a different look this time, when I said you realize you could have put that into a pop bottle and saved the weight and have it not break?

As it turns out synthetic bags retain their insulation properties when wet, even if wet is a result of a broken 1.5L bottle of cheap ass red wine.

Anyone ever hike with that one buddy who insists on putting plastic bags over his socks to keep his feet dry because his boots aren't waterproof and who won't listen when you tell him they'll be just as wet later but smellier? lol.

Non-hunting partner tagged along goat hunting last fall. Hardcore ski tourer and hiker. Decided to wear his Nike running shoes on the expedition, even with my suggestion against it.
    "Man they're solid, walked for three days straight in em during a trip in Indonesia" he says.
    Apparently that isn't the same as a backpack full of meat in the selkirks.
    Last hr out by headlamp I kept seeing him butt skidding down the slide paths. Apparently he lost a sole off one shoe and was using the other one as a brake HA.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Laughed at the pickle story, mostly cause I resembled that story at one time. Haha.

Shortly after getting my drivers license in the early 90's, me and a pard did an overnight hike into the north Monashees. While I don't recall all my gear choices, I do recall a couple items.
    -2 1/2 pound fallers axe(really handy above treeline)
    -Aluminum coffee pot with a couple rocks to warn bears
    -8" cast iron fry pan(lake we were heading towards had no fish, but I might have brought potatoes. Regardless it never got used. LOL.
    -Steel toe Rocky work boots adorned my feet and a 90liter Outbound pack was mounted on my back.

Never made the lake, slept on 3' of snow(July long)and my pack weighed 90lbs when I got home. The good old days, when I could stand on a 250lb bathroom scale with a loaded pack and not wrap the needle....

Come a little way since then for sure.
    Sounds like my sheep partner. Works great for me though, he doesn't even notice the whiskey I stash in his pack
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Anyone ever hike with that one buddy who insists on putting plastic bags over his socks to keep his feet dry because his boots aren't waterproof and who won't listen when you tell him they'll be just as wet later but smellier? lol.
    While I've never done it with hikers, kitchen catchers inside waterproof winter boots is a life saver in winter. Do it every day all winter in my falling boots. The closer you can keep condensation to your actual foot, the better. Once your inner boot gets wet and freezes, good luck keeping your feet warm.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Non-hunting partner tagged along goat hunting last fall. Hardcore ski tourer and hiker. Decided to wear his Nike running shoes on the expedition, even with my suggestion against it.
    "Man they're solid, walked for three days straight in em during a trip in Indonesia" he says.
    Apparently that isn't the same as a backpack full of meat in the selkirks.
    Last hr out by headlamp I kept seeing him butt skidding down the slide paths. Apparently he lost a sole off one shoe and was using the other one as a brake HA.
    hahaha now thats funny.

Heck of a deal on a Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 in the classifieds. I don't know OnPoint at all, passing along what looks to be a good deal. Not helping promote OnPoint.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...m-hip-belt-550

Hey guys, love the couple of recent threads about the high end hunting backpacks. After a few years off mountain hunting due to life and family changes I'm committed to getting back into the game this year. Goats for sure and maybe sheep if I can find the right partner.
    I've decided to upgrade my pack system from an old 80L, 10lb, 15 year old pack I got at Valhalla back in the day to a lightweight hunting-specific setup.

I've been looking at the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and the Exo 5500 but am now leaning heavily to the SG XCurve with the new SKY 5900. You can buy the frame in the 'minimalist' version which comes with the dry bag as a day pack. So with that setup I would have awesome versatility in setup size for day trips/ two-3 days or weeklong treks. I'm not entirely sure about the dry bag as a day pack but I don't really see the harm in trying it out. Next year I could pickup one of their smaller bags as a better day pack if I don't like it. Has anyone here tried out the 'minimalist' as a day pack?