Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 16x48x65mm tripod selection

Vortex 16x48x65mm tripod selection

Who has this scope and what tripod do you use? Looking for recommendations

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex 16x48x65mm tripod selection

I tried the High country one first, nope to unstable so returned it for the Summit am very happy with it.
    A bad day in the bush beats just about anything...

I have the summit as well. No issues.

I'm using the summit as well. From rocky slopes, boat floor or sitting in the middle of a river, no issues.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I had one, for tripod I used the Vortex Summit SS
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've got this scope, had the 50 and 85 as well. I used them with a few tripods.

Slik Sprint II Mini, worked pretty good considering the price. Couldn't really handle the 85mm all that well, but for the 50, 65 and a pair of knockers it was "good enough".

Sirui T-025X with a Manfrotto ball head. Under 2lbs for both head and tripod. Also worked well, but a little unstable. But not terrible, just needed to be conscious of it. The penalty for saving the weight.

Now using a Promaster XC 525 with Benro S2 pan head. I think it is around 3lbs and pretty great. Going to make some mods to lighten it up a bit. Starting the hockey stick of a handle on the head.

I'll try to post up some links later tonight, or you can show The Google who is the boss. Google is far more reliable than me. Which goes for a lot of things really.

I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff but I just bought one of these; https://www.amazon.ca/Rangers-Profes...rangers+tripod
    because I wanted a promaster XC525C but I'm cheap and it looked extremely similar. The ball head doesn't seem great but I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the tripods if anyone has a 525 they want to compare. I plan on getting a better pan head at some point.
    I've had it out once with my 65mm spotter and it seemed ok at standing height but was obviously much sturdier at sitting height.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff but I just bought one of these; https://www.amazon.ca/Rangers-Profes...rangers+tripod
    because I wanted a promaster XC525C but I'm cheap and it looked extremely similar. The ball head doesn't seem great but I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the tripods if anyone has a 525 they want to compare. I plan on getting a better pan head at some point.
    I've had it out once with my 65mm spotter and it seemed ok at standing height but was obviously much sturdier at sitting height.
    That sure looks similar to the Promaster and that price is great. The weight seems great too. I just may have to grab one for the boy.

Even though I got him 8's no chance he'll freehand binos for any length of time. Plus at 10 years old he'll be a bit shaky.

May as well get him going on the gear train early.

I bought the high country for my 22-48×65 angled razor HD and it's plenty stable for me. I've used it quite a bit this spring looking for bears. No complaints.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

If you want to take a look I'm in Mission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    That sure looks similar to the Promaster and that price is great. The weight seems great too. I just may have to grab one for the boy.

Even though I got him 8's no chance he'll freehand binos for any length of time. Plus at 10 years old he'll be a bit shaky.

May as well get him going on the gear train early.