Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    So, now the next guy that does it (a non native poaching bighorn sheep) only has to worry about a 2,000.00$ fine.
    After all, that sets a precedence now for that type of crime, does it not??
    So, if a non native gets slapped with a 50,000.00$ fine for the same crime, I guess he/she can now fight it as "discrimination",
    and an "unfair ruling"???
    Bingo.....my thoughts exactly !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

If an American were to come to BC and hire a guide it would cost over $20,000 to shoot a ram, yet someone can poach one illegally and only get a $2000 slap on the wrist???

Custodians of the Land?? Where these animals not introduced into Kamloops, they where not a source of food for their forefathers? Why three of such a limited resource. I used to hunt a small area near there for moose. One native family from the coast came in for 10 days and shot 8 moose! Craziest thing I ever saw. I knew one of them who now lives in Kamloops and probably doesn't hunt that area for moose anymore, since it never really recovered. If they cant police themselves it is time for us to police them again, these sheep are one small example of several that go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    She was accompanied by her husband and daughter at the time of the hunt.

Van Damme said Tk’emlups and Skeetchestn Indian bands both manage bighorn sheep populations and typically require their members to obtain a permit before hunting for sheep.

“In speaking with chief and council . . . there was no support for this hunt.”

Wonder why the husband and daughter did not receive charges??

What non-natives may not realize is that bands in this area dole out their own form of justice with wayward members that the public may never hear about. What kind of justice is left up to their discretion and I have heard it can be very effective (one example I have heard of is an Amish style shunning by the entire community). Whether or not that happens in this case we will likely never know.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

lol, and once again liers...i mean lawyers and deals to plead to lesser charges..

The animals where harvested in Kamloops without support of local band, in other words poached. They should face the same charges as a non-native, and remember all 3 where taken with no authorization from local band, so x3.

As some have said they should be allowed to hunt, just the same as non natives, same rules, same penalties for breaking the rules. this ceramonial and sustenance hunting business is total BS especially in non remote areas, they totally abuse that card

Far more important then the money, is this person was actually convicted...

If this seemingly dysfunctional family isn't sociopathic,

a large dose of healthy shaming in the community can go along way..

I know some of the kamloops local harvesters I am suprised the band did not call for hirer charges I will AK them tomorow what the deal is.
    natives can only harvest in there traditional area unless they get permission from The areas band or its poaching...

Wonder what would have happened if the accused was Caucasian?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education