Thread: Ladner Canada Goose help

Ladner Canada Goose help

First time hunter – I got my PAL & CORE and a Rem 870 in early January and I've been training with trap shooting weekly since (I'm hooked). Been digging through the forum at all hours. I've been scouting Ladner marsh, Brunswick Point marsh and Boundary Bay the last few weeks. Even though I grew up in Tsawwassen most of that environment was new to me - being out in the marsh with the fog up and birds overhead is something else. Seen lots of Snows and plenty of ducks but haven't seen any Canada Geese. Also had our car broken into while scouting Boundary Bay this afternoon and they snatched a couple grand worth of gear (inflatable raft and a few other things). Feeling like it's time to reach out for some assistance. Any suggestions on where to look for Canada's, and any other tips for a first timer, would be hugely appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ladner Canada Goose help

Hard this time of year with everything frozen up. Try the back washes of the Fraser river. When all the field puddles freeze up and there is a layer of snow the geese like the open bodies of water. When I lived down there that's where I would go and it always produced.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Hey thanks mate, that was kind of you. I'll let you know how it goes!

risky1
    It has been a few years since my brother and I rolled the marshes outside Ladner. We too suffered many losses due to car breakins and most notably our boat trailer. I the areas you are scouting are all viable and the advice that PressurePoint gave is good for this time of year. As a first timer with only trap experience with a shotgun I must mention to watch your swing in the marsh when hunting with more than one hunter in the boat, have seen to many close calls with experienced hunters. After you are done setting up dekes, nail down which shooting zones you and your partner are using and stick to them religiously. Also it is a really good idea to really study your tides, there were a few times that my and the bro were caught in the marsh with no escape on foot, trust me the 20 yard swim through the channel back to the parking lot that was bone dry when we walked through on the way in is not fun or safe, especially with waders, gun, dekes, ducks etc..
    Good luck and Give em three

Solid advice Linksman313, thanks for that, we'll stay cautious. Sorry to hear theft is that common – just ruthless. Question for both you and PressurePoint: by back washes, do you mean the flats/islands to the east of Westham Island like Duck and Barber? Or things more like the north end (looks like there are 2 public islands or at least a small piece of mud flat) and west coast of Westham?

Risk1

So sorry hear about your stolen items... I can't believe it but yes this always happen we need to be super aware of this.

About the Canada's what I can add is that I was the last weekend on Pitt marsh and I saw lots of them surrounding the area. I can't say too much because I am in the same situation as you. Not a new hunter... but recently moved to bc.

Good luck!!

via boat or in waders? watch the tides and give yourself lots of room either way.

get out early, everybody and their dog hunts ladner now and its turned to a shit show. no way to sugar coat it and the break ins are the tip of the iceberg.

set up early in the morning because by the time the afternoon night flight rolls around they have been pushed around a lot and everyone is usually set up in the favrourable areas.

be careful of where you shoot and know the distances of where you can and cannot shoot.