Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unhappy spot customer

Re: unhappy spot customer

With respect to InReach customer service: a few years ago I had a lot of difficulty with messages not going out even though they showed as delivered, and some problem not receiving all messages.

Their tech team was not very helpful. They kept trying to convince me it was user error. I eventually figured out that InReach Canada is operated by a Canadian company and they don't have great access to tech support at InReach.

I haven't used the unit nearly as much in the past few years so I'm not sure if the problem is still common, but I was not impressed with the quality of their tech support.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Have had a Spot gen 1 since day 1. Have had no issues with it at all and it works 99% of the time. There have been some deep and steep east west valleys where it has not worked, but those have been rare.

I also was not pleased when I received the $65 increase email from them this fall. One phone call to complain and they offered me an $80cnd credit for this next year. My dad also called and complained and was offered the same discount.
    Last edited by sammy-j-peppers; 01-13-2017 at 12:12 PM.

$80cnd credit is a one time fix and they hope you will forget about the increase going forwards. Band-Aid fix. Works for some I guess.
    Patiently waiting here on my roof for the mob of Zombies. Can't wait!!!

Pemby_mess Guest

I've used an inreach for the last several years. It's worked pretty much without flaw. I'm happy with the plans they offer, and the flexibility.

My experience with the gen I and II spot devices has been very poor. I've heard that they've vastly upgraded the network but everyone I work and recreate with has already converted to the Delorne so I can't confirm.

I had the same thing happen to me last year in Sept when I had to renew my spot I noticed the same increase I called same feedback we have added the tracking feature etc I said I don't want that feature they said well that's the way it is like it or not I can't do nothing about it so I can close my account or pay the extra fees,,they did give me a 80.00 credit for the 2017 renewal fee which will hep somewhat.

I thought about all and having the increase on my account spot is still the cheapest emergence device to have for under 200.00 a year its might save my life one day if I need to use the SOS feature my life is worth 12.00 a month to have the spot up and working.

PS I have had very little problems sending message the only problem I have had over the 14 yeas using my spot is my batteries were weak and would not send properly that why a person has to renew the spot with top grad batt every year so that the spot will work properly.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-14-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I have looked into getting a inreach set up the cost factor is around the 400.00 mark to purchase one the you have to pay 40.00 a month to set up an account multiply 40 times 12 months to much for me.

I really like the reach because you can send as many text message you want wherever as to receive the text messages other good thing about the reach is you can pay for 1 month or 2 etc for to have this device working..

I am in the bush for shed hunting early part of the year from feb right on through till june into the bush scouting putting my trail cams salt blocks out summer months hunting season sept to late nov meaning only two months I won't be needing the reach device in case of an emergency meaning the cost factor is out of my reach sad to say..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-14-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I have looked into getting a inreach set up the cost factor is around the 400.00 mark to purchase one the you have to pay 40.00 a month to set up an account multiply 40 times 12 months to much for me.
    To be clear, the cheapest montly plan on an Inreach is $19, not $40. You can also 'suspend' your service whichever months you'd like which is a nice feature that costs $4/month for those two months you wouldnt be using it. Still may be out of your price range, but just pointing it out for others.

[QUOTE=Rackmastr;1867627]To be clear, the cheapest montly plan on an Inreach is $19, not $40. You can also 'suspend' your service whichever months you'd like which is a nice feature that costs $4/month for those two months you wouldnt be using it. Still may be out of your price range, but just pointing it out for others.[/QUO

Yes you are correct trev is only 19 a month and I did say in my post you can cancel at any time during the 12 month period still to coasley for me ,,thanks for correcting me..

The total cost for me would be 628.00 total for cost of the reach and to pay 19.00 a month for their service compared to 180.00 a year for the service from my I spot for a year..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-14-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Like in a previous post.....SPOT Suck in every way now . especially customer service. I cancelled 6 units after talking with customer non-service.
    My buddy wrote a very detailed letter of his happenings with them also and got no where .
    Done with Spot .
    Delorme In reach are great units and a good sat phone.
    Cell phone coverage is also getting very good these days.
    Sorry Srupp
    And That Is That

Been watching this thread closely. I have a Gen 1 Spot and have yet to ever have a issue with it. And I've used it extensively since they were new. " Check in" always works and my wife loves the track feature when I transit remote areas while hunting alone. I don't think my Spot bill of bill of $15 a month is too much for the piece of mind it gives me.

All that said, I am really interested in the In-reach ability for two way communication. Be great if I ever had a non emergency problem where I needed help. For those that have used them, what sort of battery life do you get out of one? I understand they have an internal battery. My Spots two AA's easily last an entire two week hunt when its on track mode, all day every day, and sending an ok message twice a day. Will an Inreach internal battery last a two week backpack hunt and if so, with what sort of usage?