Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for new hunting pants?

Re: Recommendations for new hunting pants?

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I would not spend the $$$$$ on Sitka, FL, Kuiu or any of the "kewl" specialty hunting pants and chuckle at the idea that such gear is "necessary" for BC hunting. I do use older Cabela's Microtex, very good for most hunting and inexpensive, while drying instantly by body heat, IME.

"Filson Whipcords", fabulous quality, have two pairs and the ONLY issue is that they allow winds through, which can chill you severely. However, I love them, they are almost impossible to wear out and resist wet very well. The ONLY real issue is that Filson, dkiscontinued them and now they cannot be had. LL Bean offers, or did, some similar ones, but, I have no idea of their current quality.

Each to his own, but, there are lots of inexpensive options for good hunting pants and you DO NOT NEED the latest "kewl" camo, designed to "catch" hunters.
    Thats what I love about the Eddie Bauer Guide pants - $60 on sale, neutral colours, stretchy and super comfortable. I wear them all the time, even when im not hunting, cool enough for early season use, and over some merino long underwear they are warm enough too. Hard to beat in my opinion!

Ill probably get a pair of warm fleece pants for cold cold weather, but the Eddie Bauers are awesome.

I usually rock a pair of Sitka Ascent pants for my fall hunts. Awesome. Also wear the Mountain Pant and 90% Sitka. In 2017 they've redesigned the Ascent pant, it's incredibly light weight. Great for hunts where the temps are in the 20's such as an afternoon early season elk hunt

Just picked up the First Lite Knab 2.0 merino pant and the Corrugate Guide pant, they're both very impressive. Great fit and mobility, water resistant, breathable
    Last edited by todbartell; 01-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have some of the pants listed, like the Pranas and BC Clothing and the Kuiu Attacks (only in solids, though...save my "kewl" camo for the colder stuff because I don't like "kewl" weather). The biggest difference is the noise. The Kuius are quiet. The Pranas aren't crazy loud, but aren't quiet...but I do love my Zions...wear them tons through the summer months when pants are called for.

BC Clothing from Costco...have lots of them and like them (wearing a pair at work right now, actually) but they'll never be classified as "quiet".

Nice thing with the Kuiu Attacks is the versatility...has a long zip down the side of the leg with mesh inside to air out in warmer situations. But still pretty comfy when it's chilly out (was sledding in mine in -10 this past weekend with just some merino LJs underneath). I wear mine a lot and wish they made some that don't have side pockets so that I could wear them more (colder weather golf at courses that don't allow side pockets, for example) and at work.

Gonna check out the Eddies...they look pretty good and versatile as well.

I use Sitka Timberline and/or Fjallraven Vidda Pro depending on the situation. Mostly the Timberline's for hunting. It's too bad they are so expensive these days...when i bought mine in 2014 they were approx. $220. Now they are pushing $300.
    Mike & Kelly

Download our podcast "The Rookie Hunter" from iTunes or stream it from our website.

http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-rookie-hunter/id1091008357

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I didn't know that whip cords are different than heavy wool pants, I figured wool was wool. My mistake, and now I know.

You have mentioned once or twice basing your opinion on your decades of experience working in forestry and hunting all over BC. What brands of hunting specific clothing have you used, and what don't you like about them, to give you your experienced opinion on their inferiority?
    I really hope this gets answered. I always enjoy bbdog's valuable opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    I seem to always be drawn to the priciest gear no matter what I'm shopping for - but I gotta say the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro is a really great product at a lower price. I'm buying a second pair I like them so.much. Icebreaker merino under them when it's colder and they work great. Good stretch, deep side pockets with quality zips.
    Just picked up a pair of the Guide Pros on sale. Eddie Bauer has good stuff (shirts, soft shell) with earthy color selections as opposed to flashy outdoor colors.

My hunting pants right now are just regular DWR coated/ quick drying hiking pants. They do the trick.

But most of my gear is First Lite. And my next pair of pants most likely will be too. The price points don't seem to be all that different from the hiking brands. Especially during a sale. But First Lite actively supports and protects hunting. So I much prefer to give them my money.

I bought Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants (yes they make pants too) from MEC for I think $80ish bucks. They are earth tone coloured, stretchy and dry really quick. I wear a merino base layer under them and it works pretty good. You could buy 3 or 4 pairs for the price of one pair of fanboy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    I bought Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants (yes they make pants too) from MEC for I think $80ish bucks. They are earth tone coloured, stretchy and dry really quick. I wear a merino base layer under them and it works pretty good. You could buy 3 or 4 pairs for the price of one pair of fanboy pants.
    I should let people know if you have your guide license or assistant guide license you can sign up for sitka's outfitter discount and get their items at a STEEP discount. Well worth looking into if you have the guide ID.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.