Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for new hunting pants?

Re: Recommendations for new hunting pants?

From sitka I use the mountain and ascent pants. Prefer the mountains. I give the win to the first lite guide pants though, love em.

I seem to always be drawn to the priciest gear no matter what I'm shopping for - but I gotta say the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro is a really great product at a lower price. I'm buying a second pair I like them so.much. Icebreaker merino under them when it's colder and they work great. Good stretch, deep side pockets with quality zips.
    The World is run by those that show up.

I've got a pair of underarmour hiking pants, that have held up great for two years now, and a pair of badlands exo pants that have treated me well for three years now. Both under $200.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Stay with wool pants, that's my advice.
    Wool pants with suspenders can't beat. Warm when wet, they breath nice, and dry fast.

My Attack pants are the best pants I've ever owned.

Eddie baurer pants are pretty good, good for early season. I like timberlines for when its getting cooler out. Ascents are a nice early season pant too, but for the price, eddie baurer pants are your best bet. If you can handle not having camo pants that is.

I would not spend the $$$$$ on Sitka, FL, Kuiu or any of the "kewl" specialty hunting pants and chuckle at the idea that such gear is "necessary" for BC hunting. I do use older Cabela's Microtex, very good for most hunting and inexpensive, while drying instantly by body heat, IME.

"Filson Whipcords", fabulous quality, have two pairs and the ONLY issue is that they allow winds through, which can chill you severely. However, I love them, they are almost impossible to wear out and resist wet very well. The ONLY real issue is that Filson, dkiscontinued them and now they cannot be had. LL Bean offers, or did, some similar ones, but, I have no idea of their current quality.

Each to his own, but, there are lots of inexpensive options for good hunting pants and you DO NOT NEED the latest "kewl" camo, designed to "catch" hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I would not spend the $$$$$ on Sitka, FL, Kuiu or any of the "kewl" specialty hunting pants and chuckle at the idea that such gear is "necessary" for BC hunting. I do use older Cabela's Microtex, very good for most hunting and inexpensive, while drying instantly by body heat, IME.

"Filson Whipcords", fabulous quality, have two pairs and the ONLY issue is that they allow winds through, which can chill you severely. However, I love them, they are almost impossible to wear out and resist wet very well. The ONLY real issue is that Filson, dkiscontinued them and now they cannot be had. LL Bean offers, or did, some similar ones, but, I have no idea of their current quality.

Each to his own, but, there are lots of inexpensive options for good hunting pants and you DO NOT NEED the latest "kewl" camo, designed to "catch" hunters.
    I would agree with this, but...lightweight, waterproof shell, insulated, quick drying pants are real. And in my opinion, that gives them an edge over heavy, not waterproof wool. Maybe that's not such a big deal up in Kamloops, but on the island, the edge goes to waterproof even if it costs more.

I don't use or even suggest heavy woolen pants as they NEVER dry in the bush. But, IF you know how to H20 proof light whipcords, they are superior to any of the overly-hyped, very costly "kewl" pants anywhere in BC. I base this on actual use of all of these for decades all over the province and have used various WPB pants/bibs since 1978.

I don't care what anyone chooses, but, I see people posting here who "cannot afford" fine optics, use crap guns and yet spend $$$$$$ on "kewl" clothing, which is, IMO, not the most practical approach to your hunting gear.

BTW, in decades of forestry work and hunting on and all up and down the coast to Stewart, I have come to prefer HH bibs to any WPB pants in rain and wet bush. Cheaper, tougher and as dry. I do use eVent pants in snow and for hiking. JMHO.

I didn't know that whip cords are different than heavy wool pants, I figured wool was wool. My mistake, and now I know.

You have mentioned once or twice basing your opinion on your decades of experience working in forestry and hunting all over BC. What brands of hunting specific clothing have you used, and what don't you like about them, to give you your experienced opinion on their inferiority?