Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

Re: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    I stood up for a researcher at SFU.
    Not once did I ever defend John Marriott. But feel to indicate the post where I did.
    marlott is spewing the raincoast guys info. and you deff3end mr raincoast. means you deffend marlott to since he`s just a puppet for raincoast.
    your raincoast researcher is a fraud to

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
    He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
    Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.

Yes, his papers did come up in the grizz review, but the authors were often not supportive of his work/conclusions.

There were a couple fundamental failures as it relates to SY, and the paper omitted the latest with regards to grizzly bear survival/modelling.

Best thing to do would be to contrast Artelle's paper with the latest McLellan paper on grizzly hunting to see if the theoretical paper on risk works on the applied side.
    When you look at the predictions made by Artelle and the applied findings in McLellan's work you find the risk theory is not consistent with reality.

The most interesting thing with Artelle's work and Darimont's work as it relates to grizzly bears is it often fails to cite work done by some of the most well-respected grizz researchers in NA.

As it relates to the world of Raincoast, it should be recognized a pile of the work is done around grizzly bears, wolves, trophy hunting, hunting, and the latest hunting of cougars. How a 'conservation organization' spends so much time on anti-hunting, and so little on conservation activities points to motives. The appearance is of a fundraising entity.

A recent one to consider which is applicable:
    https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/...g-Biodiversity
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    As it relates to the world of Raincoast, it should be recognized a pile of the work is done around grizzly bears, wolves, trophy hunting, hunting, and the latest hunting of cougars. How a 'conservation organization' spends so much time on anti-hunting, and so little on conservation activities points to motives. The appearance is of a fundraising entity.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    There were a couple fundamental failures as it relates to SY, and the paper omitted the latest with regards to grizzly bear survival/modelling.
    Would you mind elaborating on the failures and where you would the use of better survival modelling methods in that particular paper?