Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

Re: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

i still would never call anything trophy hunting. my outdoor enjoyment and taking and processing my own meat isnt what i concider trophy anything. they use it strictly to sell pitty or sympathy and make us look bad. like we have no care or meant what so ever. if the term wasnt sold so often to shut hunting down, it wouldnt bother me so much,
    can say the same for some and their so called sustanant hunts an live next to a save on foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    i still would never call anything trophy hunting. my outdoor enjoyment and taking and processing my own meat isnt what i concider trophy anything. they use it strictly to sell pitty or sympathy and make us look bad. like we have no care or meant what so ever. if the term wasnt sold so often to shut hunting down, it wouldnt bother me so much,
    can say the same for some and their so called sustanant hunts an live next to a save on foods.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter what YOU call it, society has an idea of what "Trophy Hunting" is, and its quite frankly an incorrect definition.

While we see harvesting an animal, eating and sharing the meat, and then displaying the antlers as a testament to a great experience and respect for the animal, the public sees it as some guy who kills an animal, lops off the head and leaves the rest to rot, with no respect for conservation, the animals, or society. How many times have you heard "I dont have a problem with hunters who hunt for meat, but I REALLY have a problem with all these "Trophy Hunters"!"

We have to face the facts that we are talking about two different definitions of the term, and we have to educate society on what hunting IS and what it IS NOT.

i know it dont matter what i call it. and we seem to sit back and let the other sell that term an makes us look bad
    sitting back being ok with everything called a trophy hunt isnt helping anything, was kinda my point above. even hunters use the word now

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
    He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
    Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.
    Interesting he's so revered amongst you young anti's. His papers may have received accolades....but all I have to see is Paquet in there and know there will be a twist.

Whatever accolades his papers may have achieved, his videos put a twist to tug at heart strings. One only has to look that he critiques the "trophy hunt" and cites the Great Bear Rainforest as his measure. An area that IS big as far as grizzly viewing and also for the most part has few tags issued out in those coastal areas. Not sure how many are issued through all MU's within this area but of course eco-tourism/grizz watching is going to generate more revenue. HE is talking about the PROVINCIAL hunt....I'd like to see the numbers that Grizz hunting generates province wide as opposed to grizz viewing.

im curious whats gonna happen with the guide in there doing to pic tours under hunting guide licences, dont they shut you down after you dont produce any game, and actualy admit the game/...to me thats fraud. illegal in a way, is it not?
    then theirs the guide claiming he sold his land to them cause he cares about the bear now..and then i find the court papers of the 70 poaching charges and the media news of the gov actulay taking it from him, or forcing him to sell. no local media touched hat,m only seem to find that sort of info on the globe and mail media outlet

and he has no clue what hunting generates. all they have info on is licences and tag costs. nobody knows what we personaly spend to go on a hunt.
    nor cam i say what they spend on cam gear or other. but, once again, we sit quiet and the general public see their info daily shoved on media or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Interesting he's so revered amongst you young anti's. His papers may have received accolades....but all I have to see is Paquet in there and know there will be a twist.
    Please show me where I said anyone revered him.
    Saying that someone is a good scientist does not equate to that. I've been to numerous conferences where he presented papers and have found them to be novel and well done.

But feel free to show me where I ever said anything anti-hunting. Similarly, please show me the 'twist' in the paper that you believe is bad science.

how bout the privatly ran stats he sells, and all other anti sell, done by priveate paid members of insight west. that isnt bc residence view, thats one twist to start, seem to keep deleting that and more to hide real truths, all stats are bogus. ive one them, and had zero clue what i was doing.. and get paid to do them to

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Please show me where I said anyone revered him.
    Saying that someone is a good scientist does not equate to that. I've been to numerous conferences where he presented papers and have found them to be novel and well done.

But feel free to show me where I ever said anything anti-hunting. Similarly, please show me the 'twist' in the paper that you believe is bad science.

Ahhh.....it's cute, kids cut out of the same mould.

I said NOTHING about his paper....I said the "twist", and "spin" for that matter was in his tugging at the heart strings through his video. His papers....I don't care to read as they base ALL of BC likely on the GBR. (I see names in there and will reserve comment.) His video shows nothing more than that, he is pulling numbers/stats out of an area that has a relatively low number of tags and comparing it to eco-grizz-tourism-viewing.

Is it convenient that he didn't pull his stats on "grizzly viewing" to hunting in all other areas of the province as a whole....YOU BET! He, other 'scientists/researchers', activists, celebs and 'keepers of the land' (FN) are sensationalizing and protesting the grizzly bear hunt in BC by throwing the "GBR", Kermode and anything else they can find to tug at the heart strings of cidiots. I hate the term as I live in Vancouver, earn a good living here and it keeps me here....but I am surrounded by cidiots.

You Millennial's are a cute crew...adorable in a way. I say this as a 44 yr old son of a wildlife biologist who started going hunting at 5, spent all my summers in the bush with my Dad putting radio collars on moose, caribou and bears and carried a firearm to shoot my first deer at the age of 12 when was legally allowed. (Do I sound like BBD issuing my credentials...hahaha.....)

You cite papers all the time, can you form an informed opinion based on experience?

^^^^^ While some of your critique is valid, it is lessened in both effectiveness and credibility by your frequent and rather infantile ranting about the age and "cidiot" status of others whom you do not know. As it happens, I know many highly experienced professionals in environmental biology as well as wilderness workers who live in Vancouver.

I can think of Dr. Vladimir Krajina, Dr, Ian McT.-Cowan, and several other world renowned scientists and a number of wilderness workers who live(d) here. I find your rants rather amusing, but, of very little scientific substance,

The fact that your dad was a wildlife bio. really means squat and his making it possible for you to start hunting at age 12 is also irrelevant. My late Pop was a plumbing contractor from about 1925 to 1974 and I worked with him as a youth, but, I am NOT a plumber and do not pretend that I am.

In short, what have YOU done in wilderness work/living, BC bush experience or studies in biology as individual accomplishments are what count as a basis for personal opinion. IMHO.

With that, I also find Paquet a rather "hinky" character.
    Last edited by BgBlkDg; 01-13-2017 at 01:17 AM.