Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

posted 12 January 2017 21:0812 January 2017 21:08
    https://www.kamloopsthisweek.c...-california-bighorn/

Link has photo of the three ram skulls and horns.

Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

By Cam Fortems - January 11, 2017

A First Nations woman has pleaded guilty to shooting a California bighorn sheep — one of three she hunted — and leaving most of its meat behind.

Marlene Kato was sentenced yesterday in provincial court under the Wildlife Act for failing to remove edible portions of a carcass. The law is in place to ensure hunters kill for more than a trophy rack or horns.

Crown prosecutor Joel Gold said on Nov. 9, 2014, conservation officers found two of the three dead rams within 10 metres of a logging road in an area north of Kamloops Lake while the third was about 500 metres away on a slope.

They had been killed the previous day. While meat was removed from two of the animals, most of the meat from the third ram was left on the hillside.

Kato, a member of the Ashcroft Indian Band who works at Overlander Residential Care, was originally charged with three counts of failing to remove edible portions of a carcass, but two of the counts were dropped in return for her pleading guilty to the single charge. She was accompanied by her husband and daughter at the time of the hunt.

Judge Chris Cleaveley sentenced Kato to a $2,000 fine. All but $100 of that amount will go to the B.C. Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. As part of the deal, she forfeited her right to trophy parts — the cape and the skull and horns.

Outside court, conservation officer Kevin Van Damme said the shooting of the three rams is a concern to local First Nations because sustenance hunting should be done for food, rather than profit. Parts harvested from bighorn sheep can fetch as much as $20,000 on the open market.

The law allows aboriginal hunting for food.

“We commonly see that with aboriginal people with moose and deer and elk. We don’t see a lot of sustenance hunting for sheep,” Van Damme said, noting it does occur.

Kato did bring the head and horns to ministry officials for identification and reporting. They were seized.

Van Damme said Tk’emlups and Skeetchestn Indian bands both manage bighorn sheep populations and typically require their members to obtain a permit before hunting for sheep.

“In speaking with chief and council . . . there was no support for this hunt.”

Non-aboriginal hunters can apply in a lottery for the right to harvest bighorn sheep. The odds of winning a tag are in the order of 1-1,000.

“You can apply for a lifetime and not get a draw,” Van Damme said.

Hunting bighorn sheep at that time of year and area is also not considered sport because the animals are not wary of people and will wander beside busy roads and highways.

California bighorn sheep are considered an at-risk species in B.C.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs down Re: Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

Two Grand?? What an Effing JOKE!
    Three rams. Should have been $50,000 per ram minimum IMO.

Of course on the other side of the coin, who honestly believes any fine amount will ever be paid off.

UnFrickingReal!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Woman fined $2,000 for poaching California bighorn

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Two Grand?? What an Effing JOKE!
    Three rams. Should have been $50,000 per ram minimum IMO.

Of course on the other side of the coin, who honestly believes any fine amount will ever be paid off.

UnFrickingReal!
    Nog
    Could not agree more + vehicle confiscation and rifles and jail time

Amazed to see this actually went through and a conviction was brought about. Agree it's not much of a conviction at all. Quite disgraceful really when we consider the loss. As well as the loss of opportunity to set precedent.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Non-aboriginal hunters can apply in a lottery for the right to harvest bighorn sheep. The odds of winning a tag are in the order of 1-1,000.

“You can apply for a lifetime and not get a draw,” Van Damme said.
    The odds just went up, I agree with Spy, how about we throw in lifetime hunting ban that we would have received for the same first offence in this case.
    $2000 bux is disgraceful
    Thanx for posting this 358mag

Better than a zero fine, like we have seen in the past.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

So, now the next guy that does it (a non native poaching bighorn sheep) only has to worry about a 2,000.00$ fine.
    After all, that sets a precedence now for that type of crime, does it not??
    So, if a non native gets slapped with a 50,000.00$ fine for the same crime, I guess he/she can now fight it as "discrimination",
    and an "unfair ruling"???

All aboriginal hunting MUST be done by traditional tools, NO GUNS, quads, lights, GPS, 4x4s, etc, etc,

I believe that these "stewards" are THE greatest problem in contemporary BC hunting and I would do ANYTHING to stop them.

For this, no fine as she won't pay and the gov't does not have the guts to face down these characters. I would simply let enraged resident hunters deal with this family...............

I am all for Aboriginals hunting, but $2000 and shes hunting a threatened species? come on, people enter this LEH every year for decades and never get a draw. Too soft IMO but what can you do I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    All aboriginal hunting MUST be done by traditional tools, NO GUNS, quads, lights, GPS, 4x4s, etc, etc,

I believe that these "stewards" are THE greatest problem in contemporary BC hunting and I would do ANYTHING to stop them.

For this, no fine as she won't pay and the gov't does not have the guts to face down these characters. I would simply let enraged resident hunters deal with this family...............
    I think habitat degradation supersedes first nations hunting, but nonetheless it is an issue that I believe needs to be seriously addressed. I am a firm believer that they should be allowed to hunt, but it must be accounted for and limited to a quota as are the rest of us. They can have a priority if numbers are low, BUT, in order to manage the animals, numbers of harvested animals need to be both known and regulated. How that is to be accomplished is beyond my intellect at this point.

Fully agree penalty was NOT enough! I also agree better this than nothing......
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....