Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

Re: 'The truth behind the BC Trophy Grizzly Bear hunt' Thoughts

There is an interesting discussion on the Rookie Hunter Podcast with Jesse Zeman about this - worth a listen

Make it mandatory to pack out the meat then it is no longer a ''trophy hunt''.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

no such thing as trophy hunt anyways. my spike blacktail are a trophy to me. i dont run my life based on what the uneducated anti call a trophy

everyone keeps forgetting its the gov polices that stop some from taking their meat home to other countries also. that never gets mentioned

This photographer has a series of videos on his own YouTube channel dealing with a variety of wildlife subjects. He has two on the Grizzly hunt and he's gotten over 7,000 views on them. He also has one on the war on wolves with over 5000 views.

That's not bad for one guy.

We can try to make an argument that everyone keeps forgetting this, or doesn't realize that, or if full of shit in general, but the hunting and conservation community has to either start getting information out to the general public so that we can change the tone of the conversation -or- we just sit back and let the people who want to shut us down do exactly what they want to do. The world belongs to those who show up.

I don't know how to make videos or get them on Youtube, but I'm making an effort to accomplish it this year. I need help. We've got lots of content available. Anyone with expertise who wants to help. please email or message me.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    lol, here his researcher he has from one of the top univercities...lol, names re on top of the paper he showed

Kyle artell ...aka...raincoast protester

http://kyleartelle.ca/
    Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
    He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
    Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.

i used to make money off youtube, if ya ever need help or info just ask. used to pay my rent with it. thx google..lol
    just got another cheque couple months ago. the hunting subject is slow, and i havent put big effort into that one anwyays
    thinbk my biggest pay out was about 600 for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Kyle is actually a pretty darn good researcher. I've met him many times and have lab mates that know him personally and have been both hunting and fishing with him. Beyond that I can't say much about people from Raincoast but the three that I know are active hunters and fisher folk.
    He also won the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution's Diversity and excellence in graduate research award (I know because my labmate was hoping to win)

His paper on uncertainty in grizzly bear management was one of the best papers of the year in 2013 (featured in Nature and other science magazines):
    Artelle, K. A., Anderson, S. C., Cooper, A. B., Paquet, P. C., Reynolds, J. D., & Darimont, C. T. (2013). Confronting uncertainty in wildlife management: performance of grizzly bear management. PloS one, 8(11), e78041.

With two of his papers come up quite frequently in Mark Boyce's Scientific Review of Grizzly Bear Harvest Management System in British Columbia.
    lol, id expect you to like him. both antihunters. kinda obvious isn it? hes full of it an a lier

once again i see he deletes comments..typical of the protester, antinhunters

The biggest problem is there are always going to be people with the drive and desire to hunt, and those people that dont understand it. The two sides are never going to agree and there are many different forms of hunters. Some love to hunt predators and others love to hunt one or two specific ungulate species or mabye just birds. One of the things that really frustrates me is the talk about "trophy hunting". Even among hunters, the term "trophy hunter" is often spit out like a dirty word. We all need to accept the fact that here in BC we are all trophy hunters. Nobody hunts in BC because they are hungry and need it to survive. We can justify it any way we want but its all bullshit. We hunt because we love to do it for many different reasons. Personally I spend way more money hunting than I ever would just buying meat.
    People like John Marriott will never understand that, thats why he's looking at economic factors and conservation science etc, etc, to support his belief that hunting isnt necessary in a modern society. If grizzly hunting for some people is a "blood lust" as John calls it,,,,, then who cares? Hunting is different for everybody and its not right or wrong. We manage the renewable resource and use it.

I think as hunters we need to start being more honest with ourselves and stop trying to justify why we hunt with bullshit reasons like "necessary for conservation" or the "need to feed our families". Hunting is a passion, a sport, a hobby, a way of life, what ever it is its different for everybody and as long as the animals we hunt are a renewable resource then I think that's all the justification we need.

I know its just a word, but I can't stand it when "harvest" is used to describe the killing of an animal. Who are we trying to kid by using that word? I can tell you that a hunter isnt offended when we say kill. Do we think that anti hunters are stupid enough to believe "harvest" means something different than "kill"? I didn't do any harvesting this year but I did kill a few animals.

I guess this is coming off as a bit of a rant, but to be honest, guys like John Marriott don't really upset me. He's doing a very natural, human thing, by trying to convince people that what he thinks is right. No different than what we as hunters do. Hopefully our collective votes and voices outnumber people like his.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 01-12-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling