Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

You may not be the most capable prose stylist here, but, you certainly understand the situation and I agree with your opinion based on my experiences working in environmental management.

Where, the Black Bear and other "apex" predators are concerned, I have, years ago, suggested here that Americans, be allowed a form of LEH or even OTC wolf, BB and Yote tags and then be allowed to DIY hunt these species as they now can grouse. This, would be VERY tightly regulated and the foreign hunters made to understand that ANY even attempts to kill ANY other wildlife would result in a mandatory FIVE YEAR sentence in Her Majesty's gaols.

I think it COULD work, WOULD probably work and should be at least tried as NO BC government will now spend the $$$$$ on the level of wildlife management that we really require. There could be a "hunter host" issue here, the tags should cost enough to return $$$$$ to our wildlife funding and NO expansion into other species even contemplated.

When, I suggested this here several years ago, there was such an uproar that I left it, laughing, but, it could be a way of lowering the BB, wolf, yote populations which we must do.

then its all right back in the hands of the wealthy to hunt and foriengers again, what does that do for the resident hunter? especialy those that can barely afford to hunt now as it is? id assume that will all cost per use

if they want help with wolf issue or pred. maybe a reward like selling furs. doesnt need to be massive. just something to help our cost of getting out to do that. or they do culls on all our tax dime.,and costs way more than us doing it
    for me i cant afford to go hunt preds and not have food back, so i dont. if i see them while hunting other, hell ya, dead dog. maybe if we got small compensation that would help get more out to do that work.......did they

If we could take the "baby step" of having money from license fees put back into the resource,Raising the cost of licenses and tags would actually be a great way to raise some money.
    Maybe only for people still in the working part of their life and over a certain dollar amount per year.

That idea will probably piss a bunch of people off but nothing is going to be done about first nations and the wolf cull should have begun years ago.

If a predator management plan is unacceptable to the general public of BC, seems to me about all residents can do is raise some money to do some habitat work (road deactivation etc.)

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Lots of "why don't they" in the replies. For my perspective this is a shared resource, owned by everyone in BC.

If I got a vote and a question for all the people in the thread it would be: How do WE make more moose?
    The million dollar question, isn't it?

We need to:
    Get together with FN and come to an understanding that everyone needs a haircut and that every user group needs to be involved. Part of this would be FN harvest and sighting reporting.

Lobby for increased government funded predator management/control. This should include funding to FN so they can pay someone to carry out traditional denning practices. In the old country there used to be a rule within the hunting club - you had to shoot a certain number of predators and pests per season. For example 2 foxes and 2 magpies. If you did not want to, could not, or did not have the time, you would pay the club an extra fee which the club would use to hire a professional to do the job. Maybe the BCWF could specifically ask for donations as well - 40,000 members giving $10 each annually would equal a pile of wolves trapped.

Lobby government to create real road deactivations - not the piddly stuff where you can cross with a quad - and reduce the road density that has shot through the roof in the last decade. Combine it with no vehicles for hunting in certain areas if necessary.

Increase black bear tag availability in certain areas and maybe even remove requirement to take meat in areas where bear/moose predation is high. Add $2 onto each bear tag and put 100% of it back into moose management programs.

Take a look at the effects of spraying herbicides in cutblocks. How does this affect moose browse? Is this a factor in the "apparent" starvation cases? How does the herbicide affect reproduction and general health? A moratorium on herbicide use until these questions are answered may be helpful.

The oft quoted saying - "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his father, but borrowed from his children" - rings especially true these days. I look at my young son and ask myself, "will he be deprived of these things I hold dear due, even in part, to my action or inaction?"

Typing stuff in a hunting forum is not enough.

"Typing stuff in a hunting forum is not enough."

that right there is the biggest issue i feel, we all just sit in here and post suggestions or ideas and thats the end of it everytime, the other side, seems to be in the news weekly and forcing their views or beliefs of general publicand i highly doubt we will every get natives to work with us. everything seems o keep going in their favour, so why would they give that up?

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    You may not be the most capable prose stylist here, but, you certainly understand the situation and I agree with your opinion based on my experiences working in environmental management.

Where, the Black Bear and other "apex" predators are concerned, I have, years ago, suggested here that Americans, be allowed a form of LEH or even OTC wolf, BB and Yote tags and then be allowed to DIY hunt these species as they now can grouse. This, would be VERY tightly regulated and the foreign hunters made to understand that ANY even attempts to kill ANY other wildlife would result in a mandatory FIVE YEAR sentence in Her Majesty's gaols.

I think it COULD work, WOULD probably work and should be at least tried as NO BC government will now spend the $$$$$ on the level of wildlife management that we really require. There could be a "hunter host" issue here, the tags should cost enough to return $$$$$ to our wildlife funding and NO expansion into other species even contemplated.

When, I suggested this here several years ago, there was such an uproar that I left it, laughing, but, it could be a way of lowering the BB, wolf, yote populations which we must do.
    I think this would be a hell of a good idea that could at least increase black bear harvest and raise money. With our lower Canadian $ it'd be a low cost DIY hunt for loads of Americans that would love the chance. Not sure if you directed this at me but I'm all for the idea.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Why not simply offer a bounty on Black bears, and especially Wolves, and offer them to RESIDENT HUNTERS instead of foreigners?
    Giving opportunities to non-residents? I would re-think that.
    Where would the money come from for the bounties, maybe it could come from the money resident hunters already put into the system instead of it being diverted to general revenue or who really knows where it go's.

"Unlicensed hunters isn't a great description in my opinion."

It's not a great description, but I was happy to see it at least enter the conversation. It leads to the question "What is an unlicensed hunter?" My first response is "A poacher", but my second is "code for FN".

We're not going to get one law for all Canadians as far as I can see. If we can accurately track and then discuss the impact of FN harvest we'll be making progress, so I think throwing the term "unlicensed hunter" out in a scientific report is a great thing to see. The next step, obviously, is to clarify if we're talking about poaching (which requires more enforcement) of FN harvest, which is a completely different challenge/opportunity (and I'm pretty sure we all know we're really talking about unregulated FN harvest, not old time poachers, although I could be wrong).

Why opportunity? Well, if, as someone said, moose weren't in the lower 2/3 of the province until we brought in lots of predator control, and if, as we know, there are FNs with a traditional right to harvest moose that weren't on their traditional territory in 1916, but got there as a result of predator suppression, maybe there's an opportunity there to get the stewards of the land to present an op[posing view to Friends of the Wolf.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

all the public see`s in that unlicened, is white man no being licenced and full on poacher. gauranteed i doubt the general public see`s it a possible FN, in fact i know. ive asked 3 people that dont hunt what their take was...all said just a reg poacher. didnt even clue in that it may reffer to the FN, in fact all 3 had no clue what realy goes on out there, nor even a clue on their rights around this

again, as above. all we all seem to do is sit in hunt forums or groups and talk about it. and the general public never hears anything from our side, ever.

i doubt well ever bee on same page nor ever change their rules/rights, but we at least need to enforce accountability, that isnt in their rights an have gotten away with it way to long, and the anti`s will grab that statement and run with it, again throwing us under the bus