Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

I don't know 338win mag. This is all well outside my daily realm.

Good question though.

And if not why? Would also be a good question.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Valid point. Yes, it would be a good thing. Maybe the problem is, the definition of "conservation concern" in terms of ungulates is ambiguous, and up for debate.
    What "conservation concern" means to different user groups will vary according to how it affects them, and I think you have touched on a very important issue, maybe even "critical".

In my view (and others) the time for concern is well past and there is no need to wait until there is 2 Moose left for breeding.
    I realize the only group affected by the dwindling Moose pops are resident hunters at this time, thats going to change and the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    I don't know 338win mag. This is all well outside my daily realm.

Good question though.

And if not why? Would also be a good question.
    Someone should ask the question.

There are many locations in BC with an LEH or GOS I have no interest in targeting let alone shoot a moose do to how much the population has dropped. It personal does not feel right to hunt these populations so I won't

I have a conservative mind set when it comes to hunting so I would like to see some hunts shutdown well moose recover. I have heard the arguments that hunters have little impact, it won't stop preds, once we loose the hunt it is hard to get back, and the what about FN arguments.

This may all be very true but should we not lower or remove the impact we as hunters make and try to encourage others to follow suite?

I know there is those who share my opinion and those who do not. Even if the hunt continues I will not target moose in areas I feel should be left to recover this is my personal choice

I just see a healthy species population more important than my right to hunt them

Ok coffee break now let's look at Montana and Idaho.

Montana -pop: 967,440 (2008 )
    -total area: 147,165sq mi
    -Montana Dept Fish, Wildlife, & Parks budget: $87.08million (2009)
    -amount raised by hunting & fishing: $57,165 million
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont...life_and_Parks

idaho -pop: 1.68million
    -total area: 83,800sq mi
    -total fish and game spending: $79.8million ( this is all from licences and federal grants no $ from state
    revenue if I read right)
    https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/...nualReport.pdf

Never fully read through the Idaho link but what I did was interesting. Very impressed with the $ generated by these small pop and area states that have more people hunting them that ours does. Also very impressed how easy to access the info is on where the $'s going and raised etc. still haven't been able to find f-all about BC in any real budget terms (could be a clue there).
    Last edited by LeverActionJunkie; 01-15-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Unintended Smiley face removal

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    There are many locations in BC with an LEH or GOS I have no interest in targeting let alone shoot a moose do to how much the population has dropped. It personal does not feel right to hunt these populations so I won't

I have a conservative mind set when it comes to hunting so I would like to see some hunts shutdown well moose recover. I have heard the arguments that hunters have little impact, it won't stop preds, once we loose the hunt it is hard to get back, and the what about FN arguments.

This may all be very true but should we not lower or remove the impact we as hunters make and try to encourage others to follow suite?

I know there is those who share my opinion and those who do not. Even if the hunt continues I will not target moose in areas I feel should be left to recover this is my personal choice

I just see a healthy species population more important than my right to hunt them
    You're not alone wild one. Maybe there's enough of us out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    More on –BEARS ARE THE REAL CULPRITS
    Interesting study in Alaska’s unit 19A
    From one of the best to one of the worst areas for hunting moose.
    So they tried a wolf cull since 2004 & it had little or no effect on moose population in the unit.

Tried a different approach.
    ADFG(Alaska Department of Fish & Game) conducted a 2 year (2013 to 2014) bear predator control program in only a portion of the unit 19A (5% of the unit area)
    Data collected so far showed excellent calf survival in the entire unit 19A.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r...05-29-2014.pdf

Another study in S.E. Alaska based on real evidence derived from Bear Collar Cameras during a month (June/May 2011)

Calf mortality research documents that up to 85 percent of the moose calves born in the study area die before autumn and most are killed by brown bears.

During 30 days Boar 6041 killed and ate another bear, a number of newborn moose calves, a few caribou calves, a hare and a beaver – and he scavenged a dead moose and a pile of winter-killed fish.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=539
    Last edited by mpotzold; 01-15-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Im going to second the bear theory last time I was up moose hunting in 727 I counted on average 15 black bears a day. Many I have spoken to tell me there is a huge decline in moose. Coincidence I don't know, all I know is two bears are going down this year, never hunted bears before should be fun.

Bears are a significant factor in some areas, and studies have show fawn and calf mortality is upwards of 50-70% due to bear predation. Go get some sausage boys and girls.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Im going to second the bear theory last time I was up moose hunting in 727 I counted on average 15 black bears a day. Many I have spoken to tell me there is a huge decline in moose. Coincidence I don't know, all I know is two bears are going down this year, never hunted bears before should be fun.
    Good for you. We need more guys heading out and taking some bears. They are calf killers no doubt. I do my part every spring.