Thread: BC commits $35 million to parks

BC commits $35 million to parks

Today the Province announced new funding of $35 million over the next three years to strengthen funding for British Columbia’s world renowned parks system.

The funding will result in approximately 25 more full-time park rangers, new programs to promote and protect the natural environment, as well as an initial endowment for a new BC Parks Foundation.

Jim Glaicar, president, B.C. Wildlife Federation said “We are encouraged by the immediate investment in the BC Parks Foundation and the three year funding commitment for conserving the diversity of fish, wildlife and their habitats in BC Parks. This is a major step towards a sustainable funding model for the system.

Where the $35 million goes

$25 million will go directly to BC Parks operations allowing for new park rangers throughout the province, with a focus on protecting and preserving the backcountry. The increase in full–time rangers is in addition to the seasonal ranger program where 87 temporary positions are filled during the peak demand season. Park ranger duties vary from maintaining trails and campsites, to monitoring wildlife habitats and species at risk, to ensuring guests are aware of risks posed by dangerous animals such as bears and cougars.

The remaining $10 million will be an initial endowment to the new BC Parks Foundation. The Foundation will help generate private revenue, to be spent on promoting and enhancing the experience in BC Parks.

In addition to this budget increase, the Province announced in November 2016 that they will be investing$22.9 million to build 1,900 new campsites in provincial parks and recreation sites, incorporating accessible design standards.

For more information about the conservation initiatives and community partnerships the funding will support, please view the full news release

#bcparks #rangers #conservation

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017ENV0009-000231
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: BC commits $35 million to parks

Certainly can smell election in the air...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: BC commits $35 million to parks

Although I'm encouraged by this announcement, I wonder just what the ramifications
    will be for "The Foundation will help generate private revenue, to be spent on promoting
    and enhancing the experience in BC Parks"

Not to bitch but the parks in bc that I have been to in the last several years of the govt that happened to be in power stank. A lot of privatization and I certainly didn't get the feeling of world class anything, other than beautiful BC for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Although I'm encouraged by this announcement, I wonder just what the ramifications
    will be for "The Foundation will help generate private revenue, to be spent on promoting
    and enhancing the experience in BC Parks"
    Sounds like they're copying some of the things that Washington is doing. It appears to be an initial pot that will be used to generate interest for use of parks. The Foundation will also be soliciting private donations to add to the fund.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....