Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Well I dont know anybody who has shot a collared animal... I have seen yota pass on collared animal, I have, and so has my dad... in addition if you know a surveys going on and your a unregulated resale hunter your not going to pop a colared animal. If your a poacher not hiding behind blood line you definately will not shoot a collared animal if you can see it... multiple reasons, negative data, get caught, tainted meat.

That said I would like to see some data on herbicide spray killing decidous... I am not the only hunter that will vacate a spray zone to find a moose...

My findings in region 3 and 8 are pretty simple beattle kill, =access=dead moose. No winter range. These thing dont migrate like deer and it can be nasty up there without timber. Not to mention only sanctuarys become ravines which become wolf highways.

Back to whonnock boys question I will bet a years wages the outcome would be different with a chip than a collar. Can t see a hip tell its hung for a few days stopped moving and gone cold...track that.

Very good points, but I believe the only problem is, they don't have chips that can send the data that they require. The collars provide constant data in regards to the animals location, and when the animal ceases to move, a message is sent, they know something is up, and 911 it to the scene. Literally as fast as they can. And on a side note, currently they are asking hunters to disregard the collar if you are authorized to harvest moose.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Oh I assumed they would have chips that can communicate. I am aware of hunters being aloud to harvest collared game the truth is..We only get so many tags so to tag something and find out its not fit for consumption would be devastating. My family does not buy any meat year round so even to give up a deer that you cant eat someyears would really hurt...I would hope the bio/co would grant you another tag but that still takes time and money...And a poacher would have to be blind and drunk to shoot a collared animal. The amount of moose kills I see in region 3 and 8 tell me the survey requres more work.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

But but but
    ... In several recent management threads, were not some suggesting that any efforts to reduce the harvest of female ungulates were a waste of time as far as addressing population downturns?

One can Hope...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Interesting article out of Alaska...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...articles_id=52

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    Interesting article out of Alaska...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...articles_id=52
    Great link, thanks for posting!

Yes, thanks for the link. I understand the rationale, but I do not understand the management strategy for when moose populations are at a concerning level. I have read many people defending the Peace calf hunt, but I don't believe this strategy applies to this region now. Someone tell me I'm wrong, and why. “Calf hunts are not the appropriate management tool in all locations, but a combination of high moose density, poor habitat, and an intensive management mandate make Unit 20A an ideal location,”
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Yes, thanks for the link. I understand the rationale, but I do not understand the management strategy for when moose populations are at a concerning level. I have read many people defending the Peace calf hunt, but I don't believe this strategy applies to this region now. Someone tell me I'm wrong, and why. “Calf hunts are not the appropriate management tool in all locations, but a combination of high moose density, poor habitat, and an intensive management mandate make Unit 20A an ideal location,”
    I figured that part was just schpiel to sell the idea on that particular area. Other rationale could well apply in the Peace, the article doesn't focus on any area in BC. Then again, can be silly to extract something without considering context. The article as a whole can show us more.

As a basic rule in healthy moose populations, with adequate habitat human hunting is compensatory (reflective of the percentage thar would die anyway), hiwever I think we can all agree that in much of the province the moose populations are not healthy and habitat is lacking. There is countless studies that show these conditions, combined with high predator numbers, human hunting is actually additive. What makes it even more complex is that 100 years ago away from the rockies there were hardly no moose in the bottom 2/3rds of the province. Are moose numbers returning to their proper historical levels? If so should we stop it or should strive to have their numbers at the artificially inflated numbers that were brought about by logging and predator extermination done in the early to mid 1900s?
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

so that unlicenced hunter...poacher or dont need licences? why so afraid to put blame whee it belongs?

just reading through that moose management plan. so if they are going to run with all the plans in that, loks like white man just loss out moose hunting opportinities. first nation comes first apperently, then us, then guides

includes the following goal:
    ensure moose are maintained as integral components of natural ecosystems throughout their range, and maintain sustainable populations that meet the needs of First Nations, licensed hunters, and the guiding industry in BC.”

REASONS:

The existing guidance to decision makers responsible for regulating hunting is to place the highest priority on conservation, followed by the right of First Nations to hunt. Hunting done under the Wildlife Act may then occur and is split (allocated) between resident hunters and guide outfitters.