Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Mulehahn:

You pose and interesting question: why does the province spend $$ on wildlife? For us to hunt? To maintain an ecosystem that existed at a random point in time? To provide wildlife for FNs to hunt as provided for under federal legislation? Those are just the first options that come to my mind now that you've raised the issue. It's a really good question. Please fill out any ares I've missed.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

and the guides between FN and above us as residence

i dont think gov spends on wildlife for us to hunt, i think they INVEST in the hunt for profit themselves, by whoever will pay the most, gets top decisions or influence.
    shift that money trail an maybe shift that list of who`s on top

An interesting study on pregnant cows before & after birth!

During a five-year study of calf survival in Denali National Park and Preserve in the early 1990s, University of Alaska Fairbanks professor Terry Bowyer radio collared almost 50 pregnant cow moose and followed them through the birthing process.

According to Bowyer-
    -Moose often stay at the birth site with their calf or calves for a month or more, seldom venturing more than 100 yards from their offspring.
    Grizzly bears are well aware of that, judging from what he saw during his study.
    -Only two of the 44 moose calves that he followed survived past six months and 80 percent were killed in the first 20 days, most in the same spot they were born.
    -Once a bear makes it to the birth site the calves are toast. A young calf doesn't have a chance against a bear
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...m0090001.shtml

Posted this before- Newborn moose calves fight very slim odds
    http://www.sitnews.us/0709news/07090...k_science.html

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Yup ... and the BC Wildlife Branch is managing grizzly as an icon instead of a predator!

Is it any wonder our ungulates are having issues!?

We are "California North" and the bureaucrats are the biggest negative influence on biological management in our great province.

Let's fire 'em all ... and make "BC great again"!!

I know a guy ...

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Yup ... and the BC Wildlife Branch is managing grizzly as an icon instead of a predator!

We are "California North" and the bureaucrats are the biggest negative influence on biological management in our great province.

I know a guy ...

Here, here!

If BC/Canada could be made great again, I'd happily recant and do an abrupt about face concerning the subject matter of my prior sidebar rants on display in this thread, for one. In fact I would love to be proven wrong on the matter!

Great post, 40incher.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post

I know a guy ...
    X3..............and people gotta get out and harvest black bears, as long as they ain't garbage bears they make good sausage..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    To answer your question regarding bears the short answer is people aren't killing them to the degree they once did.
    It was legal to shoot sows, any age cubs and up to five tags per year per hunter with no meat retention laws up to the mid to late eighties. Back then if rural folk, farmers and ranchers decided there were too many bears they shot bears until the abundance went away. Licensed hunters who did not wish to deal with butchering a bear didn't have to even skin them.
    When the laws began to change it became more cumbersome for law abiding hunters to bother with bears so they shot less.
    I'm sure there are other reasons but those are the most evident to me.
    I'd also add two things
    Twenty years ago a pile of bears were killed as nuisance bears. thrpugh changed management practices and education fewer bears are killed now.
    Poison was used right up to the eighties. That killed a lot of bears.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cordillera View Post
    Poison was used right up to the eighties. That killed a lot of bears.
    Not to mention that you had a 5 bear bag limit with no legal requirement to take out the meat.

Maybe somebody can convince FN'S to get out and shoot bears, wolves and cougars. Then we wouldn't have to wait for the govt to drag their heels
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"