Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Got at least a page of responses, seem to be getting back to complaining. Would like to hear more about the question below......
    Lots of "why don't they" in the replies. For my perspective this is a shared resource, owned by everyone in BC.
    If I got a vote and a question for all the people in the thread it would be: How do WE make more moose?[/QUOTE]

There is no " we" at the moment .... there is us and them ... and They are calling the shots when it comes to what wildlife they want to manage (or have us manage for them ) whether it is bear or moose or ? Your perspective is overly optimistic but you are entitled to it
    I will continue to hunt what I am legally able to for however many years that is ...

From one of your links : "The province is responsible for stewardship of natural resources, including wildlife, and has jurisdiction to regulate most land-based activities. The province does not have power to regulate hunting by First Nations, each of whom have a unique approach to stewardship and self-regulation. "

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    this has already been sitting for almost a year. what the hold up to implement that plan they claim they will do, more years to study on how to implement it?
    May 9 2017 is the hang up.

The province does have the power to infringe upon the "section 35 rights bearing community", alls they have to do is shut it down for the G/O, resident hunters, then the FN.
    Seems like the thing to do, heads would roll and I bet the FN would be on board with any conservation measures taken to bring back the Moose pops, including a long term strategy with conservation in mind.

I do wonder what the strategy is when LEH are still being sold, there are still general open seasons, yet there aren't any Moose in many of those area's, I personally get tired of what I and many others consider nothing short of bungling.

Guys, read the reports goat posted...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Here's a link to the "A STRATEGY TO HELP RESTORE MOOSEPOPULATIONS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA" report:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...uly-8-2016.pdf

Progress report:

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finis...cumentId=10381

One more link lol: www.google.ca
    Thank you.

For those that keep on wondering.
    Unlicensed Hunting = Aboriginal Hunting.
    While not surprised, I find it weak that the authors would not describe this with proper clarity.

From the progress report,
    Probable cause of Mortalities.
    21 predation (18 wolf, 2 Cougar, 1 bear),
    9 hunting (1licensed, 8 unlicensed),
    14 health-related (8 apparentstarvation, 2 septicemia, 4 unknown health-related),
    1natural accident, 4 unknown

This accounting differs from the article,
    The eleven unaccounted mortalities in the article are:
    2 septicemia, 4 unknown health-related),
    1 natural accident, 4 unknown

A quick reviews of the progress report reveals some interesting data.

ZERO mortalities from capture/handling, VERY Impressive!

Collared Cow Moose mortality was not unusual.
    "The annual survival rate of cow Moose for all study areas was 92 ± 8% in2013/14, 92 ± 5% in 2014/15 and 86 ± 5% in 2015/16. "

What was noteworthy is the relatively low cow/calf pairs at capture.

"Moose for whom calf status at capture was recorded,
    68% (n = 19 were not accompaniedby a calf,
    32% (n = 93) had one calf
    and <1% (n
    = 2) had twins "

"4.6 Late Winter Calf Surveys
    From 20142016, we conducted a total of 10 latewinter (February and March) Moose calf surveysto determine survival rates of calves associatedwith the radio-collared cows. Results variedamong study areas with calf/cow ratios rangingfrom 839 calves/100 cows "

In addition is the Very low number of Young Cow moose in the capture pool.

"Of the 336 cow Moose captured to date, weassessed 332 for age via tooth wear patterns with
    81% (n = 26 classified as adults(4.5 – 7.5 years old),
    16% (n = 53) as old (8.5 –14.5 years old)
    and 3% (n = 11) as young (1.5 –3.5 years old).
    "

Back to the mortalities.

Causes of potential starvation mortalities is undetermined at this time.
    Ticks likely played a significant role in some of the deaths.
    One case of spetimecia was likely due to infection resulting from injuries received during a wolf attack.

It certainly appears that calf recruitment is a serious issue negatively effecting population growth.

How do we make more Moose?
    Increase recruitment, probably best achieved by culling bears and wolves, in a holistic way.

We can talk science, funding and habitat restoration until we are blue in the face.
    The number one turning tool in the areas covered by this study is a predator reduction.
    Wolves first....that will bring the downward moose population spiral under control.
    Bears can be kept in check to boost recruitment.
    Then the habitat restoration to support the moose that come back.
    We don't really need to spend a bunch more money to study......

That's my thoughts too.

The bears are the main problem for the calves.

[QUOTE=mpotzold;1867247]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCWF View Post
    https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/01/10/Killers-of-BC-Moose/
    The main killers of moose in an ongoing study in British Columbia have been wolves, unlicensed hunters and starvation.

An incomplete study!
    I would say BEARS killing the very young are the main culprits in the dwindling moose numbers.
    Less bear=more moose. PERIOD!

Bears are moose calf killers –some studies indicate that over 50% (some up to 75%)are killed when most vulnerable. Read that they can differentiate the smell between calf and adult from a long distance. Once found it’s not difficult to catch & kill it when very young.

Article-Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human.

Moose study in Denali Park in the 1980s and ’90s- the moose calf survival rate was only 10 to 20 percent. Grizzly bears were the main predator of newborn moose calves, killing approximately 51 percent of calves that were killed during the first two months compared to only 6 percent killed by wolves.
    The biologist concludes-the dramatic decrease in the moose population in the 1990s is a result of heavy bear predation on moose calves.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7af4f9ba2.html

Another study where 54 calves were collared -45 died
    Bears killed 26 & wolves/coyotes only 1.
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2012-10-23

From our limited observations in the 5-03 region over the last 6 years or so the moose numbers are way, way down & the bear(mostly black) are way up. As I said before could have shot 14 black bears in less than 3 days couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    We can talk science, funding and habitat restoration until we are blue in the face.
    The number one turning tool in the areas covered by this study is a predator reduction.
    Wolves first....that will bring the downward moose population spiral under control.
    We gotta get off the I Internet and get hunting. Easiest way for rh's to do their part is easier than we think, donate some $ to local and provincial organizations, kill our two bears each year and hopefully kill some wolves. Sound more than do able, maybe not so much the wolves, but $50-100 and some bear meat and fresh air in the woods to help some moose. Ill Take that anyday of the week
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    there is evidence that moose will use marginal habitat to avoid predation ..certainly play into the starvation stats.
    like the one that walked into Safeway in Smithers a few years back. Straight to the veggie aisle. And bonus--No wolves!
    Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    we can talk science, funding and habitat restoration until we are blue in the face.
    x2............