Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

At the current time getting first nations on board is probably the best hope. They as a group actually have political pull whether you all like it or not and can act without political reprisals. I have no idea what that would look like or whether they would even entertain the idea.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    At the current time getting first nations on board is probably the best hope. They as a group actually have political pull whether you all like it or not and can act without political reprisals. I have no idea what that would look like or whether they would even entertain the idea.
    This the most simple and accurate post so far, exellent idea, the concept coming to fruition is another matter, it can be achieved I think.

Tsilhqot'in Band would be a good bet, and a great location. Fund a helicopter for a couple of members, and let them have at it for a couple years. See what happens. They could take out a few bears while they're at it.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    This the most simple and accurate post so far, exellent idea, the concept coming to fruition is another matter, it can be achieved I think.
    I don't think it is an original idea....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

1899 Guest

Nope, folks have been working on it for some time now.

Youre right, it's far from original but it's the best direction to take.
    Not only do they have political pull but if they are behind a management plan the political correctness will be there to possibly gain the publics support....or at least enough of the public to make it fly.

personaly i feel they only have pull with the past crap and the race card as leverage to the publics eye/. something we never fight for. we all have them same food rights., white man didnt come here with ave on foods on them ships did they?
    our gov is chicken shit of them, plain and simple

why is their 2 diff reports, dates are diff on top. both start same time of 2012, but end 1 year apart, diff people involved, less people on this one that i read
    wonder how close the numbers are in this one? just starting to read it

http://www.bvrodandgun.ca/index_266_1076948904.pdf

[QUOTE=BCWF;1866134]https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/01/10/Killers-of-BC-Moose/
    The main killers of moose in an ongoing study in British Columbia have been wolves, unlicensed hunters and starvation.

An incomplete study!
    I would say BEARS killing the very young are the main culprits in the dwindling moose numbers.
    Less bear=more moose. PERIOD!

Bears are moose calf killers –some studies indicate that over 50% (some up to 75%)are killed when most vulnerable. Read that they can differentiate the smell between calf and adult from a long distance. Once found it’s not difficult to catch & kill it when very young.

Article-Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human.

Moose study in Denali Park in the 1980s and ’90s- the moose calf survival rate was only 10 to 20 percent. Grizzly bears were the main predator of newborn moose calves, killing approximately 51 percent of calves that were killed during the first two months compared to only 6 percent killed by wolves.
    The biologist concludes-the dramatic decrease in the moose population in the 1990s is a result of heavy bear predation on moose calves.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7af4f9ba2.html

Another study where 54 calves were collared -45 died
    Bears killed 26 & wolves/coyotes only 1.
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2012-10-23

From our limited observations in the 5-03 region over the last 6 years or so the moose numbers are way, way down & the bear(mostly black) are way up. As I said before could have shot 14 black bears in less than 3 days couple of years ago.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

lol, whats thats supose to mean, this is at top of their info

Wildlife Working Reports frequently contain preliminary data, so conclusions
    based on these may be subject to change. Working Reports receive little review.