Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Why not simply offer a bounty on Black bears, and especially Wolves, and offer them to RESIDENT HUNTERS instead of foreigners?
    Giving opportunities to non-residents? I would re-think that.
    Where would the money come from for the bounties, maybe it could come from the money resident hunters already put into the system instead of it being diverted to general revenue or who really knows where it go's.
    I would say because black bear are a very under utilized game species by residents and the wildlife management and enforcement branches are severely underfunded as is. By charging aliens extra $$ to hunt here it would add $ to the coffers to fund magement and enforcement.

Wolves are kind of a mute point as no amount of hunting will ever contain their numbers to a level that will help ungulates. I don't think anyways but could easily be wrong. If enough people wanted to come and pay to hunt em though all the better we can take that $ too.

All just options batted around the interweb.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Bonz::

"all the public see`s in that unlicened, is white man no being licenced and full on poacher."

I can't disagree. I'm just saying that now that the term has entered the conversation as a result of scientific studies on moose numbers we can start talking about it more easily. When you ask a non-hunter what it means and they say "some white guy without a license" you can ask "And not FN traditional harvest, which is currently not monitored, but which should be in order to help conservation?".

Same question can be asked to the reporter processing the story.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Bonz::

"all the public see`s in that unlicened, is white man no being licenced and full on poacher."

I can't disagree. I'm just saying that now that the term has entered the conversation as a result of scientific studies on moose numbers we can start talking about it more easily. When you ask a non-hunter what it means and they say "some white guy without a license" you can ask "And not FN traditional harvest, which is currently not monitored, but which should be in order to help conservation?".

Same question can be asked to the reporter processing the story.
    ya, at least its been slipped in their. time to make it clear on meanings now. and a few others i read in that and the moose recomendations, i see alot of open, vague info there on enforcing on their end

What needs to be done can't because of the public sentiment. Somehow this has to be changed I am at a loss as how to achieve this. It is a battle for common peoples minds.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

It heard a truck driver say today that he had seen 6-8 road kill moose on his trip. I believe he was coming from Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    It heard a truck driver say today that he had seen 6-8 road kill moose on his trip. I believe he was coming from Edmonton.
    I heard two seperate individuals talk about how they had to shoot a couple moose over the Christmas break "cause the freezer was a little thin".

Add 4 more to the total for region 3
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    What needs to be done can't because of the public sentiment. Somehow this has to be changed I am at a loss as how to achieve this. It is a battle for common peoples minds.
    It's a tough one.
    I beleive there's hope of something coming together but for it to work it'll take a lot more players at the table than the BCWF and government.
    Some of the participants needed are either not fully on track or on their own agenda.

Last years status report on the study Did name aboriginals/hunting/poaching as one of the causes . Vancouver sun article
    an excerpt :
    So far, 19 collared moose have died: nine were killed by wolves, three by unregulated hunting (aboriginal hunting/poaching), three due to starvation, one by a vehicle collision and three due to unknown causes.
    Forty to 50 dead moose are required to get a good handle on how they are dying. Research, which has found no evidence of diseases, will continue through 2018.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...958/story.html

Has anyone got a response from the FLNR about the defintion of an "Unlicensed hunter"? I emailed when this thread started and am still waiting for a response. To me it most likely implication is that the moose was clearly shot but they have no idea by who. Someone shot a moose, walked up, saw the collar and walked away. The ministry is trying to walk the line with by calling it an "unlicensed hunter" because if it was First Nations no crime may have been committed, but if it wasn't they are poachers. Without knowing who pulled the trigger it is a guess so they just call all shot, but unretrieved, moose hunted.

Now what group is going to go around and shoot moose first without taking a close look at it and what is around is anyone's guess...
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Has anyone got a response from the FLNR about the defintion of an "Unlicensed hunter"? I emailed when this thread started and am still waiting for a response. To me it most likely implication is that the moose was clearly shot but they have no idea by who. Someone shot a moose, walked up, saw the collar and walked away. The ministry is trying to walk the line with by calling it an "unlicensed hunter" because if it was First Nations no crime may have been committed, but if it wasn't they are poachers. Without knowing who pulled the trigger it is a guess so they just call all shot, but unretrieved, moose hunted.

Now what group is going to go around and shoot moose first without taking a close look at it and what is around is anyone's guess...
    If you would have noticed the previous post , aboriginals/hunting/poaching was changed to ""Unlicensed hunter"