Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    In case anybody wonders where the money comes from to support fish and wildlife management the way they do in the states have a read.
    There are some serious dollars being brought in courtesy of the Pittman Robertson Act. Now no doubt there are some out there who will swear up and down that we pay enough taxes in Canada and our government should just take care of us. Sure. Absolutely.
    The reason politicians in the states take hunters and shooters seriously is the hunters and shooters are putting their money up to support the programs they want.
    Contrast that with BC where we have heated debates amongst ourselves regarding the merits of this pack or the other or the latest ultra expensive ( in my eyes) camouflage gear but most amongst us won't spend money where it really counts.

In Current Rush to Buy Guns and Ammo, Pittman-Robertson Funds Break All Records | Field & Stream
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...reak-all-recor

100% my man! Great post.

I personally pay a crap load of taxes. Probably over the median household income. However paying taxes knowing they're going towards something a person supports? I'll do that any day.

Buy ammo, help game would be great to see
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    100% my man! Great post.

I personally pay a crap load of taxes. Probably over the median household income. However paying taxes knowing they're going towards something a person supports? I'll do that any day.

Buy ammo, help game would be great to see
    A very nice sentiment, all this is. Yet IDC how much dough anyone makes - Taxes are WAY too high for no value in this nation. No new taxes, ever for anything! Less tax please.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Agreed Yankee slang was inn appropriate in this use.

But if you compare BC , to ID, each using their respective currencies, pop, total land avail, hunting participation, $ converted from licence sales to habitat, the two aren't even on the same planet.
    Of course. US is drastically superior to c-u-next-tuesday-ada in every respect with the possible exception of how awesome the wilderness spaces are up here. and even that depends on the state. BC seems almost entirely polluted/stepped on outside of the Percel Wilderness area. Percel's only like that due to the ruggedness of the country over that way!

It's silly to compare this nation to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    In case anybody wonders where the money comes from to support fish and wildlife management the way they do in the states have a read.
    There are some serious dollars being brought in courtesy of the Pittman Robertson Act. Now no doubt there are some out there who will swear up and down that we pay enough taxes in Canada and our government should just take care of us. Sure. Absolutely.
    The reason politicians in the states take hunters and shooters seriously is the hunters and shooters are putting their money up to support the programs they want.
    Contrast that with BC where we have heated debates amongst ourselves regarding the merits of this pack or the other or the latest ultra expensive ( in my eyes) camouflage gear but most amongst us won't spend money where it really counts.

In Current Rush to Buy Guns and Ammo, Pittman-Robertson Funds Break All Records | Field & Stream
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...reak-all-recor
    As I am reasonably, somewhat confident you are aware - Different nation, different Law. The system in the US is more balanced. Ours is politician centric to the max. That and a lil' ol' thing called the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    It's variable. Some areas are low, some ok (ie stable), but still much lower density than before and not showing signs of growth (which you would accept if it was a stochastic event).

With cow survival from 85-90% we missed the crash there's no doubt about it.
    It looks like there's a problem when only 4% of the collared cows are in the "young" classification and 16% fit in as old.
    If the 9-10 month old female calf recruitment doesn't make it to be a 3 or 4 year old she's non productive.
    Looking at the cow mortality from known wolf predation and knowing that it is common for bears to reduce a calf crop by as much as 50% ....in this study the numbers support that....78% bred cows and 35% with a calf at side...we come to what I beleive is a crucial question.
    How many calves are making it thru the next two years of life when they are the most vulnerable.
    My bet is this is when they become a wolf turd.

Am I the only one who feels there's no reason we shouldn't be raising & spending (wisely) more $ than 1/3 as many Yankees are to protect and manage 25% of the territory that we do?

We as citizens let alone as sportsmen really need to demand more of our elected officials! I hate to keep going back to these states but the ease of finding info about what's going on, the clarity of info and the direct accountable manner in which their elected officials are managing their game is light years ahead of our govt.

i mean no disrespect to those civil servants working within govt, but the elected and management class who are running the overall system. Idaho in particular is even self funded, not relying on state budget funds!

can you imagine!
    Agreed....

Time for change.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

So lord no choke, we should not try and get value for our tax dollars, even if it's small? I need no reminder of how over taxed we are, or how little we get back for what we pay.

This country of ours takes a back seat to none as far as being the best in the world. I wouldn't trade Canada for anyplace.

The second amendment has nothing to do with the Pittman Robertson act, and there is no reason sportsmen can't champion something similar here. Lil bit off a box of shells for wildlife ain't gonna hurt at all.
    Last edited by LeverActionJunkie; 01-16-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    It looks like there's a problem when only 4% of the collared cows are in the "young" classification and 16% fit in as old.
    If the 9-10 month old female calf recruitment doesn't make it to be a 3 or 4 year old she's non productive.
    Looking at the cow mortality from known wolf predation and knowing that it is common for bears to reduce a calf crop by as much as 50% ....in this study the numbers support that....78% bred cows and 35% with a calf at side...we come to what I beleive is a crucial question.
    How many calves are making it thru the next two years of life when they are the most vulnerable.
    My bet is this is when they become a wolf turd.
    They might not be making it, or those might be the few survivors from the crash.... lots of ways to look at it. For what we have and how quickly it changed cow mortality was definitely high between the periods when inventory work was done. Low recruitment on its own doesn't explain the change.

I think if we take a step back again, the problem is there aren't enough moose.

Right now we're studying a declining moose population because we have to 'prove something' to politicians.

We should be talking about making more moose... not studying a declining population.

We both agree on that.

Until we have a properly funded wildlife management model, doing any of the above effectively is pretty tough.

Mandela

So we should not try and get value for our tax dollars, even if it's small. I need no reminder of how over taxed we are, or how little we get back for what we pay.

This country of ours takes a back seat to none as far as being the best in the world. I wouldn't trade Canada for anyplace.

The second amendment has nothing to do with the Pittman Robertson act, and there is no reason sportsmen can't champion something similar here. Lil bit off a box of shells for wildlife ain't gonna hurt at all.
    agreed.......

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    They might not be making it, or those might be the few survivors from the crash.... lots of ways to look at it. For what we have and how quickly it changed cow mortality was definitely high between the periods when inventory work was done. Low recruitment on its own doesn't explain the change.

I think if we take a step back again, the problem is there aren't enough moose.

Right now we're studying a declining moose population because we have to 'prove something' to politicians.

We should be talking about making more moose... not studying a declining population.

We both agree on that.

Until we have a properly funded wildlife management model, doing any of the above effectively is pretty tough.
    Agree 100%