Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Killers of BCs Moose

Re: Killers of BCs Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Do Idaho studies indicate how they obtain such accurate info?
    Money

You buy a tag, you can report online or pick up the phone and call in.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/report

Idaho is 1/4 the size of BC.

Idaho 'game species' are deer, elk, antelope, black bear, cougar, wolf, a couple moose, bh and goats

BC 'game species' deer (4 sub species?), elk (2 sub spp), moose, goats, sheep (4 sub spp), caribou, moose, black bear, grizz, cougar, lynx, bobcat, and probably a couple others.

Idaho has approximately 1/3 the people BC has (1.6M vs 4.6M).

Idaho F&W has an ~$85M budget. BC spends around $20M.

So, fewer species, smaller jurisdiction, fewer people, fewer 'game species', budget 4 times bigger.

Idaho spends more on wildlife habitat then we spend on wildlife as a whole.....

It's all about the money.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    So calf survival in the study is quite acceptable Goat Guy?

It appears to be as I read it, but must admit the language of this stuff is a bit above my head sometimes

It's variable. Some areas are low, some ok (ie stable), but still much lower density than before and not showing signs of growth (which you would accept if it was a stochastic event).

With cow survival from 85-90% we missed the crash there's no doubt about it.

Mandela

Where'd you get the 4.6 milly data for BC's pop?

Last I heard was more like 4 max. Just wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    Where'd you get the 4.6 milly data for BC's pop?

Last I heard was more like 4 max. Just wondering!
    Was going off the top of my head. Most of that stuff is off the top of my head, so numbers will be out a bit no doubt.

According to BC stats in 2016 it was 4.751M people.

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/Statist...Estimates.aspx

Mandela

Am I the only one who feels there's no reason we shouldn't be raising & spending (wisely) more $ than 1/3 as many Yankees are to protect and manage 25% of the territory that we do?

We as citizens let alone as sportsmen really need to demand more of our elected officials! I hate to keep going back to these states but the ease of finding info about what's going on, the clarity of info and the direct accountable manner in which their elected officials are managing their game is light years ahead of our govt.

i mean no disrespect to those civil servants working within govt, but the elected and management class who are running the overall system. Idaho in particular is even self funded, not relying on state budget funds!

can you imagine!
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

I just hit up an internet search and from some unverified (source unnamed) it showed over 4.6 milly as the pop!

Weird. Alot of growth, must be no down payment fleeing Albertans (lolz)! Can't blame them, moved back the BC from Alberta myself though I figure that last move was prior to their election and had much more to do with Merriam's Turkey than politics. Just sayin!

Anyrate - Good data, crazy population here now! That population growth may well have to do with why there's less animals 9Moose) for sure.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-16-2017 at 10:44 PM.

How are we going to generate, direct, and ensure more $$ in this province is raised and directed towards wildlife & habitat?

The more I poke around on this the more I get ticked at the squandered opportunity and wasted resources we are letting slip through our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    Am I the only one who feels there's no reason we shouldn't be raising & spending (wisely) more $ than 1/3 as many Yankees are to protect and manage 25% of the territory that we do?

We as citizens let alone as sportsmen really need to demand more of our elected officials! I hate to keep going back to these states but the ease of finding info about what's going on, the clarity of info and the direct accountable manner in which their elected officials are managing their game is light years ahead of our govt.

i mean no disrespect to those civil servants working within govt, but the elected and management class who are running the overall system. Idaho in particular is even self funded, not relying on state budget funds!

can you imagine!
    Everything in Canada is already WAY too expensive for no value. USD is a drastically superior currency and their economy of scale and entire way of being easily supercedes that of this joint. Raising fees here is a terrible idea, period. Besides Idahoans are not necessarily "Yankees". Traditionally Easter Seaboard Americans might be called such, yet Yankee is more like previous centuries lingo for what I'd now call a lieberal.

In case anybody wonders where the money comes from to support fish and wildlife management the way they do in the states have a read.
    There are some serious dollars being brought in courtesy of the Pittman Robertson Act. Now no doubt there are some out there who will swear up and down that we pay enough taxes in Canada and our government should just take care of us. Sure. Absolutely.
    The reason politicians in the states take hunters and shooters seriously is the hunters and shooters are putting their money up to support the programs they want.
    Contrast that with BC where we have heated debates amongst ourselves regarding the merits of this pack or the other or the latest ultra expensive ( in my eyes) camouflage gear but most amongst us won't spend money where it really counts.

In Current Rush to Buy Guns and Ammo, Pittman-Robertson Funds Break All Records | Field & Stream
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...reak-all-recor

Agreed Yankee slang was inn appropriate in this use.

But if you compare BC , to ID, each using their respective currencies, pop, total land avail, hunting participation, $ converted from licence sales to habitat, the two aren't even on the same planet.