Thread: Duck Hunting Etiquette

Duck Hunting Etiquette

Hey guys, total newbie here when it comes to duck hunting, most of my knowledge comes from what I've gleaned off the forums and watching youtube videos. My buddies and I spent a few days scouting spots last month, and got our first day of hunting in last week. We were the first ones on site, getting there well before sunrise to set up our decoys and get settled in. About half an hour after sunrise we managed to call a flock into the decoys but missed 'em all (is duck fever the same as buck fever?).

At this point we saw some guys walking in behind us, and waved to them to let them know where we were (just in case they hadn't heard the shots). Fast forward 15 minutes and we've got another flock headed in towards us, and sure enough someone starts blasting from beneath them about 70 m away, towards the fly way. As someone who grew up still hunting for mulies, I'm used to hunting without seeing another person all day, so I was obviously a little taken aback.

Anyways, my question is: what is a reasonable distance to set up away from someone who is already hunting? If someone sets up too close to you, is it reasonable to ask them to find somewhere else to hunt? Or is that just the way it is on public land in the Fraser Valley? Any info or advice would be much appreciated!

PS I've heard you're supposed to tell a joke in your first post: There once was a barman who owned a duck that danced on a tin box. He sold the duck to another barman who phoned him later asking how to make it stop. The first barman replied, "Just open the tin and blow out the candles!"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duck Hunting Etiquette

Teebs You have touched on a very long and drawn out debate.I believe you have to set a parameter in your own mind what is to close and what is not.Having had this happen many times including by some members of my own club have done several things. Talked to the person sometimes works ,move ,pisses me off but is better than a heated confrontation.The last time I walked over tried to explain and was told pretty matter of fact its public land can do whatever we want,,,so replied fine but you have bagged your last bird.Back to my blind and every time anything even came close fired one shot.They figured it out and left a while later.Not saying it was right (or cheap) but made the point.I rarely hunt weekends anymore for this reason..

The answer is it depends.

The right thing to do is, IMO, if you are the group that's late, is go talk to the people that are already set up and let them know your intentions. Maybe they will offer to join forces. I know I would much rather share a spot with someone, then set up with 2 separate set ups next to each other. It then turns into a competition, and hard feelings are sure to ensue. On top of that, it may turn into who can screw over the other guy because everyone feels the other groups is screwing each other. I know its public land, but you slept in and they didn't, and they don't deserve to have a shitty hunt because of your tardiness.

200m IMO on public land is ok, 400m is better. Never set up downwind of another group, especially closer then 200m. IF you cant fit your hunt within in these parameters IMO you should go home or somewhere else

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

If I was set up in a spot and someone showed up after me, set up 70 yards away and started blasting away, there would be a fairly intense conversation occurring. If you show up and a crew is already there, have some common sense and speak with them first or just go somewhere else.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

I normally let them add to the spread but yes there are some asses out there...

I humilated a guy at a community event after he set up 30yards across drom me.. full blown crosss fire never mind getting birds...

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated! I was pretty choked when this all went down so I'm glad to hear I had good reason to be pissed off haha.

On a lighter note, we tried again yesterday and everyone who showed up after us set up a reasonable distance away, so I managed to bag my first ducks! Anyone got a good recipe to share?

When it comes down to it treat others how you would like to be treated it's really that simple

Too bad not everyone out there uses common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    When it comes down to it treat others how you would like to be treated it's really that simple

Too bad not everyone out there uses common sense
    And.....do not interfere with another mans hunt.......simple.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Easiest thing to do is buy a hunting dog to retrieve their ducks for yah. LOL.. welcome to HBC!
    perseverance pays off