Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and transit?

Guns and transit?

My son just texted me a few minutes ago. He just started classes at T.R.U. in Kamloops. He said he witnessed a bus driver denying transport to a man carrying a rifle case. He said, "no firearms allowed". Was just wondering about the legalities of such an incident? I know the man has a legal right to "openly" carry a firearm in public view, but is it legal to take a firearm on transit? Or is it a BC transit policy to deny firearms? The little bit of investigation I have tried is rendering no info. Does anyone know anything about such legalities and know where one can find documentation to back it up? Not looking for opinions here. I suppose a call to the RCMP could shed light on the situation?
    Last edited by Buckmeister; 01-09-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Guns and transit?

Nope and not on BC ferries either even if it is locked in a case. It must be locked in a vehicle.

I wasn't even allowed to take a recurve bow (arrows in a pack) on the ferry; I was told I was not allowed but this 'one time' I could take it apart and fit it inside my pack.

Unfortunately in this day and age, I can understand the general public not being comfortable with firearms regardless of what the law is.

This is what I use to move my rifle around inconspicuously.

I bought mine in a pawn shop. When I asked to measure it, the kid asked me if it was for an acoustic or electric.... I said, "neither".
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I found an old thread on the topic from 2008.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...pulbic-transit

Didn't seem like much was known 8 or 9 years ago. Likely not much has changed. Haven't read the whole thread though. But someone did mention carrying guns on the ferry. They said at that time cases were allowed, but they recommended a locked vehicle so as not to disturb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Nope and not on BC ferries either even if it is locked in a case. It must be locked in a vehicle.

I wasn't even allowed to take a recurve bow (arrows in a pack) on the ferry; I was told I was not allowed but this 'one time' I could take it apart and fit it inside my pack.

Unfortunately in this day and age, I can understand the general public not being comfortable with firearms regardless of what the law is.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

You'd need to contact BC Transit and ask what the policy is. Get it in writing. Bus drivers make up rules too. If "no guns" is BC Transit policy then write your MLA.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-for-transport
    old discussion on it from this site....i looked through their policies and did not find a reference to fire arms

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...pulbic-transit
    and an even older one from here

links to policies but no mention
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...statreg/377_85
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/.../statreg/30_91

https://bctransit.com/victoria/riderinfo/safety

My son used to carry a cased compound bow on the ferry as "tournament archer". He would open the case show the ticket agent and have them call the chief steward on the boat and let them know it would be taken immediately to the chiefs office. He did it often enough that they stopped asking...
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    This is what I use to move my rifle around inconspicuously.

I bought mine in a pawn shop. When I asked to measure it, the kid asked me if it was for an acoustic or electric.... I said, "neither".
    And if caught, you may be charged with concealing a weapon. Not such a good idea, IMHO

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Having checked the News lately, or just living under a Rock. People without common sense should not be allowed to have Guns.

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Having checked the News lately, or just living under a Rock. People without common sense should not be allowed to have Guns.
    If you can't be trusted with a gun, you shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..