Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Animal Help

Frozen Animal Help

I have harvested many animals in the spring and fall and have no issues dealing with the meat, we process everything ourselves. I have never had to deal with anything like this where meat is frozen.

My buddy just filled his LEH tag for Elk up north. The animal is completely frozen now by the time they field processed it and transported it back here. It is currently -22 in Prince George. The animal is quartered and hanging in my carport. It is not going to warm up any time soon.

I had thought about bringing it in the house 36-24 hours before butchering to let it thaw so we can process.

Any advise on what some of you have done in the past would be great.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Frozen Animal Help

Only way to do it is, thaw it out, but do it slowly, which may take a week or more.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

We had the same thing happen throw a quarter on the kitchen table cut next day

Some parts will still be frozen but it cuts no problem

Let it hang in carport until it warms up. I don't think it will go bad. Will it?

No it wouldnt...

When I have had to cut up a moose by myself I had it in frozen quarters just like you do now. I would take out a quarter at a time to process. You don't really want it to be in a HOT place to defrost, and defrosting over several days at 4C is the best, but a cool corner of the house will be fine.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I will usually process an animal into large pieces and then freeze. These large pieces will be brought out and proccessed to the final product over the winter. Meat that is still 1/2 frozen is best to work with

If you lack space to let it thaw out slowly, stick a quarter in a large salmon cooler so it thaws slowly. Keep an eye on it as it thaws.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

All good advise here. No issues with it hanging in your carport frozen, same as being in your freezer as long as it's staying clean.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

You can wrap a tarp over it, make like a tipi and stick a small propane heater in. low heat and best monitored with a temp guage, if there is too much heat make the opening larger.