Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kootenay outfitters

Kootenay outfitters

This is my first post. Ive only been a BC resident for 1.5 years. I'm out on the island living and working with my cousins. They arnt big hunters. Right now I don't have the means of hunting elk by myself on the mainland so I've been saving some cash and would like to go with an outfitter. Get the hang of elk hunting, see how it's done etc. I've been hunting for many many years in north western Ontario, moose, whitetail, black bear.

Im looking at Grizzly Basin- Travis Crabbe and Ram Creek- Steven Leuenburger. Both guys are in my price range talked to a few out of province references.

From what ive found 4-22 is pretty busy.

Please no politics or rumours or opinions that arnt backed with fact. Any help would be great

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kootenay outfitters

Honestly man I wouldnt spent my hard earned cash on a kootenay elk hunt, too busy, too many people. Go north!

If you don't have the set up maybe look at a place like aa packers, where you ride into a comfy camp and everything like meals is taken care of.

Just a thought, good luck!
    KCCO

My sentiments exactly, go north.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I don't know Travis Crabbe, did speak with Steven Leuenburger, some years back and know his territory fairly well due to working there 50+ years ago for the BCFS and 35+ years ago, for a private reforestation firm.

I liked him, found him very open, honest and friendly to a res. hunter, but, the glory days of elk hunting in the Kootenays are history and will not return.

Based on hunts I have done, I would contact Stone Mountain, Big Nine or Tuchodi Outfitters in NE BC and book with one of these. It won't be "cheap", but, if in shape, a decent shot and willing to hump a bit, you should bring home a bull.

where you from in NWO?

Okay I'll check north again. Everything was so to expensive almost double kootenay area. i was kinda looking for that mountain hunting style.

Honesty, heed the advice,,GO NORTH.
    Usually there is a reason, the price tag is cheap. Low success!

Go north, as Rhyno has said. Find a good packer and you should do fine. Kootenay elk hunting would not be my choice for hard earned dollars. Be sure to check "recent" success rates of any outfitter selling elk hunts in the Kootenays.

Like rhyno said AA packers is an awesome outfit. I have hunted there for the last 7 years. Pm me if u have any questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bunner View Post
    where you from in NWO?
    Thunder bay

okay I'll check AA. I've talked to both these guys multiple references who have and haven't killed elk most of them last year or 2015 and they are going back again. The guys that didn't said they seen lots of bulls and just missed their opportunities. BUT ILL KEEP LOOKING NORTH